1

Toya

"Good Morning, welcome to Starbucks. Are you currently a member?"

"Yes. Are there any specials?"

"Yes, we have several. There is the get a free pastry with any drink purchase and two for one tea."

"I will have the Caramel Cappuccino and a free danish please."

" Of course I will get that for you."

Like a reflex, the minute my back turned around my fake smile dropped in an instant.  Putting up the facade had been an everyday thing. Seeing all these happy and joyous people, coming in to spend their money on overpriced coffee was ridiculous. But this is what paid the bills, well that and my night job.

I placed the order and went to grab her danish from the display. "And which danish would you like this morning?"

"I'll have the strawberry." She replied without looking up at me, her eyes glued to her phone.

I picked it up and held it out for her to take. She grabbed it and muttered a low thank you. A  drink slid my way and I grabbed that handing it to her as well.

She muttered another quiet response of gratitude, gave me the money, and went out the door. Once she was gone another customer came to my counter, and it repeated over again.

I had been used to the same routine for months, and this was my life now. I had to pay off my loans in order to get back to school. After being through many things in my life, I have tried to get out of being a statistic, but that led me faster into it than ever.

I know one thing, I need a miracle, but that doesn't come to people like me. I had worked so hard for years to follow my dreams, but nothing has ever worked in my favor. So here I am working at Starbucks in the morning and a bar at night.

I never really talked to  many people, since no one likes, and I quote, "The desperate gold-digging n****r." Hurtful? I know that is what I had heard my whole life. But what most people don't know is, I don't care. They think that their words hurt. But they won't.

Since I was young I  formed this mindset in my head that I was a beautiful, strong, and independent woman. Whether the color of my skin was black, white, or blue. That was one of the only things my mom taught me before she left me.

Being on my own has taught me to be myself and not let anyone change me. It has also taught me that there are consequences for your actions and that you can't solve all your problems with money. But, I do have one problem that could get solved if I had enough money to pay it off. But like I  said, miracles don't come to people like me.

Gabriel

"Okay Mrs. Turner, you will need to go pick up your prescription at the local pharmacy. And be sure to stay off your feet as much as possible. In the front, you can  make an appointment for next month so I can check on you."

"Sure thing sweet pea."  The old lady gave me a small smile and shakily stood. I helped her out to the front to make an appointment then I went back into my office. She was my last appointment of the day, and that I was glad for it.

I looked through some emails and responded to each of them, then I went over some of my appointments for tomorrow morning.

My life has been a very boring roller coaster that seemed like a kiddie ride. Nothing spectacular and all of it was cliche. For once I wanted different, fun, craziness.  But with my parents being how they are, they wouldn't allow me to enjoy my childhood. I learned to get through school, to become a doctor, and take over my dad's practice. I was pampered for this job, for this life.