Day 3 - Char

JULY 5TH, Day 3: Char (e.g. Smoky)

Levi woke from his brief sleep with tired eyes. For as long as he could remember, he never managed to get a full night's sleep. He would wake after a few hours of sleep, and then he would walk around, or read, then he would attempt to go to sleep again. More often than not, he wouldn't be able to sleep again that night. This night was no different.

He swung his legs to the edge of his bed and stretched his short but toned limbs. He was dressed in his crisp ironed linen pyjama bottoms, and made his way to his bookshelf. On his way over, he spotted his reflection in the mirror. His hair was a shock, pointing in all different directions. His eyes were lined with permanent dark circles; his expression was tired, which sometimes others may have mistaken as being expressionless.

The Captain browsed his collection of books, which by this point he had read, and reread, countless of times already. I really should get more books the next time I'm in Trost. Unsatisfied with his collection, he changed his clothes and decided to try the selection of books that had been left in the tower. When the Survey Corps had found this castle, everything had been abandoned. The furniture, the art that decorated the walls, books and antiques had all been deserted. Whoever had inhabited this place, left in a hurry no doubt.

Finally, Levi pulled on his boots and closed the door to his quarters behind him. The Survey Corps headquarters were quiet as his walked down the corridor of the Officer's quarters. He made his way to the long winding stairs that led to the tower, and noticed a strong breeze slip through the arrow slits in the wall. He continued his climb up the winding steps until he reached the first door that led to the library (as Levi liked to think of it).

As soon as he opened the door, the smell hit him first. Levi inhaled the scent of old pages and parchment, there was something floral about it, although he could not put his finger on exactly what it was. He immediately closed the door, not wanting to be disturbed. This was his time to be alone, and he liked it that way. He passed the books on the bookshelves that were in his immediate vicinity, and instead, he heading to the back of the room. 

There was a carpet with a plain simple design, which no one would have looked twice at. Levi threw it to the side and opened the hidden compartment where the carpet had laid only moments before. It had been well hidden when Levi first found it, so much so that he almost didn't discover it himself had it not been for his meticulously cleaning habits.

He opened the hatch which creaked from old age, and laid it on the floor. Inside the floor boards were several books, with old battered covers which betrayed their age. They were books banned by the King, and contained information about the times before the humanity took refuge within the walls. 

Levi looked up from the books beneath the floorboard to check the door to the library was closed. The punishment for reading banned materials was death, and destruction of said materials. Levi, assured that he was not going to get caught tonight, picked up the book that lay on the top of the pile.

The book was small and thin, but the cover was decorated elaborately and it had caught his eye. The author had a foreign name that Levi could not pronounce, but assumed they originated from the east. It was a book about war, strategy and philosophy. Levi stood up, book in hand and headed towards the only chair that occupied the room. It was still dark outside, with no sign of the sun rising anytime soon. It must be around 2am. I'll have plenty of time to read in peace.

As soon as Levi had thought those words to himself, he noticed as strange smell in the air. There was a thickness that hung in the air. It was oaky, and almost dusty in it consistency. Levi headed for the window of the library, and already had an idea of what he might find. His suspicions were right. On the other side of the castle was the kitchen – and it was ablaze. A pillar of smoke rose in the night air, and a soft glow illuminated in the distance.

Throwing his book aside, Levi ran for the door of the library and bolted down the stairs. The Officer's Quarters were close to the tower so he headed there first.
"FIRE! Everyone get up! Fire!" Levi roared. Commander Erwin's room was closest. Levi burst through his door and quickly recounted to him what he had seen from the tower. Erwin decided that he would ensure the evacuation of the Officer's and get about extinguishing the fire.
"I need you to get the recruits to safety; we will rendezvous at the orchard behind the castle." Erwin said sternly to Levi.
As Levi headed out of Erwin's room, officers were poking their heads outside of their doors, asking what all the commotion was.
"Have you all got shit for brains?! There is a fire, everyone get out of here!" Levi yelled as he ran down the corridor and headed for the recruits quarters. Their quarters were close to the kitchen, Levi hoped that someone from that part of the castle would have noticed the fire and raised the alarm.

As he neared the recruit's quarters, Levi noticed that air getting thicker. The smoke was visible now and would be obvious to anyone who was awake. He finally reached the corridor he set out for, and once again shouted warning of the fire. He kicked in the door of the men's room.
"Fire! Everyone out! Go to the orchard and wait for further instructions!" Levi scanned the room, confused and tired eyes peered at him. But something was amiss.
"Where's Yeager?"
"He – he was here earlier. I saw him go to bed." Armin replied.
"Tch", Great, now I'm going to have to find him. "Just go to the orchard and wait there."
The men grabbed their boots and jackets and ran immediately down the corridor. When Levi got to the women's room, he stopped himself for a moment. He wasn't sure whether to knock on the door before entering or simply barge through.