RivaMika Week 2015: Bonus Chapter

BONUS CHAPTER:

***

Dawn crept over the horizon as a horse with two unconscious scouts carried it's riders to their headquarters. Two other scouts out on patrol spotted the strange horse with two people bearing the insignia of the Survey Corps and instantly recognised them. The shorter of the two was Captain Levi who wore significant swelling and bruising on his face. The woman seated behind him had blood drenched trousers and a dagger in her thigh.

The two scouts on patrol went by the names of Jean and Sasha. They exchanged a nervous glance with each other before they swiftly brought their friends that looked close to death, and their horse back to the Survey Corps Headquarters.

***

Levi tried to open his eyes, but noticed that he could only open one. He was prevented from opening his left, because the extensive swelling that covered his face. The Captain raised his head off the soft pillow, and recognised his surroundings immediately; he was in the Survey Corps infirmary. Levi winched in pain as he tried to sit up, and held his bandaged ribs.

"You should stay in bed." A voice from the chair by his beside said.

Levi did not need to open his eye again to see who it was.

"Erwin – where is she?" Levi hissed, now trying to lift his legs over the side of the infirmary bed.

"We weren't sure if you were going to survive Levi. You need to lie back down." The Commander of the Survey Corps said to his friend.

Levi had a splitting headache, and the moaning from his supposed friend was not helping. He needed to find Mikasa, and see that she was safe. He had not had a chance to collect his memories and try and decipher what exactly had happened.

"Take me to Mikasa – now!" Levi barked

Erwin sighed. "You always were stubborn."

With that Erwin walked Levi over to the women's side of the infirmary. Levi's heart jolted when his saw her. Mikasa was lying in her bed, covered in bandages that betrayed how much blood she had lost.

"From what Hange and the healers can gather, Mikasa nearly bled to death getting the both of you back here." Erwin commented.

Both Levi and Erwin stood at the side of Mikasa bed. Levi noticed how deathly pale she was. He deduced that this down to the lack of blood circulating around her body. The bruised and batter captain took a step closer and gently held her hand. He could not ignore how icy her touch was.

"Will she die?" Levi's voice cracking on the last word.

With burrowed brows, Erwin Smith turned to his friend. The Commander was not used to seeing his war weathered and seemingly cold hearted friend in this state.

"We are not sure yet. The healers have done what they can. All we can do now is wait." Erwin said gravely.

"Have my bed put beside hers – and I will not have no taken for an answer." Levi said quietly.

***

Several days passed, and a constant stream of visitors came to see Mikasa, much to Levi's annoyance in the bed beside her. On the fourth day, just as the sun was setting and Levi took the first sip of his tea, he heard the most glorious sound.

"Levi?" A small raspy voice called out.

The captain's head turned around in an instant to see Mikasa looking up at him from her bed. The teacup fell from Levi hand and he jumped out of his bed. Ignoring the stabbing pain in his ribs and the way his head throbbed was easy now. He was by her bedside and the woman with carbon coloured hair took his hand.

Levi's lips where on hers before he had a chance to consider his actions. Mikasa cold fingers intertwined with his and she kissed him back. Levi noticed he could smell the ointment that was used every day to clean Mikasa's wound as he pulled himself deeper into their kiss. He could feel her calloused fingers brush along his bruised face before he winced and pulled away from their kiss in pain.

"Oh – I'm sorry!" Mikasa said.

Levi let out a long sigh and the corner of his tip turned up in a smile.

"It's fine." Levi said as he gazed into the onyx eyes of the only woman that would ever be able to make him happy. "Everything is going to be fine."

"You guys have got some explaining to do!" A familiar voice called from the infirmary door.

The stunned faces of Mikasa's visitors, almost made Levi chuckle. Mikasa's fellow 104th Cadet classmates stood open mouthed and seemingly tongue tied. Of course, Hange was brimming with joy and demanded that she had better be invited to the wedding.

Levi turned back to look at Mikasa, and colour seemed to return to her face at the mention of a wedding. Of course, it was too soon to be thinking about marriage, but Levi could not imagine having any other woman by his side, and he took her fingers that were still entwined with hers and gave them a gentle squeeze.