Chapter 10

The morning after was a complete disaster.

A tiny ray of light made it through the curtains telling me my dream was over.
It had been wonderful. I was at Cam's house, we sat on his couch and my head lay on his chest listening to his melodic heartbeat while he rubbed my arm gently. It felt perfect, safe. But it was just a dream, a dream that was soon over.

I didn't want to open my eyes, I wanted to stay in that perfect world. Suddenly, I got angry, furious, as if my inner bad wolf came to the outside, leaving behind all the good things I thought about Cam, and letting out the loudest anger scream ever.

Chloe popped into my mind all of a sudden, with the image of her fucking tongue inside Cam's mouth. My Cam!  I hated her, I hated him. How could he cheat on me? I was seriously going crazy, but then I remembered Adam. Adam! How could she cheat on him?! He loves her! I thought, I can't tell him, it'll crush him. The 2 most important people in his life cheated on him. I can't take that away from him! Yes you can! my inner opposites argued.

I had to tell him, no matter how much it could hurt him, after all, I would be there to comfort him, or at least try. But first, my family. Shit.

I finally got out of bed and opened the curtains. The light blinded me for a few seconds but then I could see the sky. You know when it's raining and it's completely depressing? Well, this was one of those days. I hated it. I mean, if I was in a good mood, and the sun showed a little bit of its light, that would be nice. But this... Well, it made my day worse.

I went downstairs to find the person I was afraid of seeing.
'Hi hobbit.' Adam said happy and cheerful as always. His brown hair was damp and his eyes shone with light. 'I thought you'd never wake up.'

I couldn't stand watching him. I couldn't breathe, my heart beat was faster than ever. The image of Chloe coming down those stair in just underwear appeared in my head.
Then, an image of me destroying the two most precious relationships that Adam had.

'So... Are you mute or something? You've been staring at me for almost... Yep! 5 whole minutes.' His sarcasm brought me  back to reality.

'Oh... Um... I...' I was speechless. I took a deep breath and thought about a complete sentence that made sense. 'Do you want some coffee?'

'Sure. Hey! Where's Sarah? She's normally awake by midday.' He said as I walked towards the kitchen island.

You kind of ruined my life. Her words echoed in my head. Yeah, right. And then someone ruined mine. What was it? Karma? I thought while I poured some coffee in a cup.

'I don't know. Maybe she went to the gym.' I said not quite processing what I was saying. I had had a long night and my body needed coffee.

'Your mother? To the gym? Yeah, right, and I'm gonna go to Yale.' He questioned my answer with his funny ironic voice.

'Okay, first of all, you're totally capable of getting into Yale, I truly believe it. And second, excuse my brain for not working right when it's been 10 minutes since I woke up and no caffeine entered my system.'

He laughed. 'I missed you Parker.'

'I missed you too Adam.' Now! Tell him now!

'Adam?' His sweet innocent stare broke my heart.

'I have to tell you something. Sit down.'

'O...kay... What's going on?' He asked confused.

'Last night I...' We were interrupted by my dad.

'Parker, are you there?' He asked coming down the stairs.

'Yeah dad, I'm here.' Wow, now that sounded weird.

'Oh! I didn't notice you had company.' Alex said smiling.

'Yeah, umm... Adam, this is Alex, my father. Dad, this is Adam.'

'Nice to meet you sir.' Adam said politely, offering his hand.

'Same here.' Alex said shaking his hand. 'I thought your boyfriend was called Cameron.' He said turning to me.

'Oh! No, umm, Adam's my best friend and his best friend is my boyfriend.'
'Why the remark in "is"?' Adam noticed.

'No reason. I...' I chuckled nervously. 'Can I talk to you for a sec?' I asked him heading towards the kitchen.

'Sure.'

'I'll be right back.' I told Alex.

When we were finally alone, I sat next to him by the kitchen island and sighed.

'Look, this is gonna be hard, so... Hear me out and take your time to process what I'm about to say.'

'Okay...is this what you wanted to tell me earlier? Something about last night?' He asked clueless.

'Yeah, look, yesterday I got into a fight with my mom, so I went over to Cam's because he was right about her. You following so far?'

'I think so.'

'Right. So when I got to his house, he...' I paused. I couldn't carry on.

'What happened? You can tell me Parker. Did he break up with you?'

'No. But when he opened the door he was in underwear, and It was totally acceptable at that time when he was supposedly sleeping, but... He wasn't.'

'Wait. Are you saying that Cam cheated on you? With who?'
Silence.

'You won't like the answer to neither of those questions Adam.'

'He did cheat on you! Tell me the girl's name Parker.'

'Chloe.' More silence. I can't believe I actually said that.

'I'm sorry.'

'You're wrong.'

'What?'

'You're wrong! She wouldn't do that!'

'But she did! I know it's a lot to take in, but it's the truth, and you have to live with it.'

'No.'

'Adam!'

'My best friend slept with my girlfriend, you know how that feels?'

'As a matter of fact, I do. I saw my best friend's girlfriend in my boyfriend's house in underwear. So yeah, I know how you feel.'

'Parker, I'm...'

'Save it Adam. I feel terrible for you, and I wish I didn't have to tell you that, but I had to, and you have to accept what happened and move on. If you hang on to it, then it'll break you.' By this point we were standing up face to face across the table.

'I am not like you. You make it sound so easy. Act like it doesn't hurt you,
Or you don't need to cry, but you know what? I bet you want to cry as much as anyone else would.'
'No. I just don't see the point in crying.' I said firmly.

'Fine. But I'm not staying here and let Cameron walk away from this.'
And with that, he was gone.