Chapter Nineteen

"You're seven minutes late." I note as Asher gets out of his car.

He wraps an arm around my waist and lifts me up, carrying me like a briefcase into the diner. I laugh and slap his arm, but he does not let go. Asher dumps me unceremoniously onto the overstuffed cushion at a booth by the window.

"I don't remember fixing a time, so no; I am not late." He picks up a menu.

"You're the worst planner ever." I sulk.

He scoffs, "You wouldn't even touch me yesterday because you're so against sweat."

"It's gross so your argument is invalid."

"What does that mean?" He retorts.

I open my mouth to answer, but Ash cuts me off, saying, "Never-mind, I don't think you know. You just like to use big words."

Huffing, I cross my arms and focus my gaze on the table behind us where a guy sits alone, typing away on his phone. A waitress comes by to take our order and I ignore Asher when he asks me, so he gets a bunch of items in the vain hope that he has guessed correctly and figured out my favourite breakfast meal.

The boy behind Ash looks up and notices me staring at him. With a sad smile, he looks back down and continues working on something with his phone.

When our food comes and I glance his way again, he lifts up a napkin with the words 'you okay?' and my heart melts. I take the iced coffee Asher chose and move over to talk to him.

"Hey." I stand awkwardly at his table.

"Is that guy bothering you?"

"I suppose." I shrug.

The boy makes space for me on the side that he is occupying and I join him, observing Asher's back.

"He's being such a girl."

"Yeah, guys do that sometimes. It's a thing."

"Really?"

"No. I don't really know – I'm not a world class phycologist."

At this, I snort, making Ash turn around. I pretend not to notice him, looking to the boy instead.

"Are you from McTyler's Institution?" I ask.

"Yeah, I know all about you and Asher. You're the school's favourite couple, plus who doesn't know the athletes? The school loves you guys."

"Was that sarcasm?"

"Not really, but I think they give a ridiculous amount of attention to you."

"I suppose."

"I'm Samuel Rhodes." He holds out his hand. "Pleased to meet the famous Eleanor Victoria Riley, Captain of the swim team."

I giggle and shake his hand. Asher narrows his eyes. What? I'm just making friends.

"So what do you do?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"Nothing much. I'm just a humble member of the math club; a pretty smart bunch of dudes if you ask me."

"Do you think I'll make it?"

"Everyone's welcome, nobody actually comes." Samuel's tone is resigned.

"That's sad." I frown.

"Ellie, we need to go." A muscle jumps in Ash's jaw as he stands in front of us, having eaten alone.

I bid goodbye to Samuel and follow Asher unwillingly. He is my only ride after all.

Thankfully, he talks to me once we exit the diner. For some reason, he is surprisingly calm, unnerving me greatly.