Chapter Twenty

"Okay, now kick back to the other side. Ready, set, go!" I shout, treading water.

A bunch of twelve year-olds race right at me and I sink into the water to let them pass. After they get to the middle of the pool, Taylor and I start swimming after them. She is on the other side of the pool, helping me watch out for children who may potentially be drowning.

"Okay, that was great!" I clap and the kids cheer, some of the boys screaming.

"That was almost a full set for a junior team." Taylor starts. "They do this about four times a week without fail."

The children gasp and think back, trying to recall the set, counting with their fingers the number of times they had crossed the pool.

"So who loves swimming?" I ask, halting their thinking time.

Another round of shouting from the kids. This time, I do not wait for them to finish their little conversations.

"Lesson's over, got out of the pool!" I holler, feeling drained. I don't know how these kids do it.

They hop out, racing to their parents. These were normal students who went to McTyler's Junior School. Taylor and I had volunteered to take their swimming module.

We push ourselves out of the water, too tired to even fist-bump. I throw my partner in crime half of my chocolate bar and we munch on the treat in silence.

"Well, I am never doing anything that involves kids ever again." I state, towelling off.

"Remind me again why we volunteered to do this." Groans Taylor.

"The All-Star isn't just about sports. We have to suck up and get points by doing charity work." I explain.

Just then Asher appears at the pool with a towel and a pair of goggles in his hand. He sees us and comes over. Taylor ditches me for a warm shower at her dorm.

"Hey sweetheart." Ash smiles, putting down his stuff and stripping, his toned chest now visible to me.

I try not to stare but I fail.

"Keep looking – it's all yours anyway."

I flush crimson, looking down at my microfiber towel, scrunching it up.

"Are you too tired for another round of the pool?" He asks.

I nod, my energy check signalling that I am out for the day. Ignoring my protests, Asher grabs me by my waist and lugs me to the water edge.

"It's okay," He says, more to himself. "I wasn't in the mood to swim anyway. We can just splash around."

He sits me by the side of the pool while he slips in. I lean forwards to meet his lips with mine in a desperate kiss. He wraps an arm around my neck, pulling me into the water and pressing me up against the wall of the pool. Eventually, we break away panting.

"I'd swim off, but I don't have the energy to do it." I say, still breathless.

Ash chuckles, pulling me to move into the cool water.

"So about that All-Star, do you still remember our pact?" He asks, treading water as I lounge in the perfect seat the ladder provided.

I sigh, "Don't think I'll give up my spot just so you can stand on stage."

"Confident, are we?" He smirks.

"What do you know that I don't? We're all clueless about this."

"How about we make a bet? The loser has to do whatever the winner wants for three hours."

"Sure."

We shake hands, sealing the deal. Asher then starts to swim, but he gives up after a few laps. Meanwhile, I had changed and am currently waiting for him to get out of the pool.

"See you tomorrow, Ellie." He pecks my cheek as I pass him to get to the school's front porch where William always waits.

Somehow, I am more determined than ever to get that All-Star. To be honest, I had forgotten about it and lost myself in the competitions. Too bad that my team has done well, Asher does not have a chance.

///

My phone rings from my nightstand, shocking me back awake. The caller I.D. announces labels the disturbance as Asher's brilliant idea. Groaning, I slap around the table to find my slim phone.

"What?" I snap, made grumpy by sleep.

Asher chuckles, "No need to by such a sour puss, love, it's just your nightly reminder."

"Reminder of what? How irritating you are?"

"I love it when you scold me in that English accent of yours." He drawls. "But no, that's not the point of me calling you. This call is to remind you that you are mine and if you're intending to sneak out tonight to attend Connor's party, I'll chain you to a chair and force feed you healthy food."

I grimace, "I'll stick to pizza, fries and burgers, thank you very much. I was about to fall asleep before your rather rude awakening."

"Well, I also wanted to be the last one you hear before you doze off."

"That's sweet and creepy at the same time." I gush the way Emma would – something she calls the 'sarcastically fake' tone.

"Just in case you die in your sleep." Adds Ash. Somehow, I can sense his shrug even though he is practically five miles away. "You know, you never call me anything other than 'Asher'." He continues.

"That's your name isn't it?" I smirk even though he cannot see it.

"Yeah, but you never try any endearments on me."

"Well, I don't think you'll appreciate 'sugar bunny' very much."

He laughs. "Only when you say it."

"Listen, Ash, I need to sleep."

"Right. Good night, love. Dream of me."

"I will. See you tomorrow."

Because of Asher, I am forced to start the whole process of falling asleep yet again. He always calls at the most inappropriate time. I sigh, grinning dizzily as I thought back about our conversation. The last one you hear before you doze off. My smile grows even wider and I exhale deeply once more, wishing that Asher is with me to hold me as I drift off for the night.