Chapter 4

Lauren/You - Just An Innocent - Chapter 4

The next morning, my eyes shot open as I felt the weight shift on my bed and light strokes on my cheeks. I grabbed the hand of the person forcefully, having been in this situation way too much and knowing what usually happens after but when my eyes adjusted to the light and I saw the person looking at me with fear and confusion in their eyes, I immediately relaxed.
"Sarah?" I called as I let go of her wrist.
"I'm sorry. I knocked but I didn't hear you answer so I came in." She explained and I just looked at her, hating myself for the fear I could see in her eyes.
"It's okay. I rarely sleep but when I do I'm the heaviest sleeper you'll ever find." I tried to joke and as I heard her giggle I knew it had worked. But soon silence fell on us again and she somehow looked nervous. "What's going on?" I asked grabbing her hand softly.
"Nothing. Today's a school day so I'm in a bad mood that's all." She stated but hey, I may not have seen my little sister in 2 years, I still knew her better than I knew myself.
"Sarah..." I said, a demanding tone on my voice.
"It's out." She said tears filling her eyes as her bottom lip started shaking showing she was trying to prevent herself from sobbing. "The secret's out. People know you're back in town." She stated and my eyes widened slightly. I knew now why she was crying. She knew that would mean that I would have to face a lot of shit from the people at school and she would see all of it since she was going to high school as well. First day as a sophomore for her. I just looked at her seeing the worry in her face and I smiled which made her frown.
"We knew it would happen eventually so why are you crying?" I asked gently trying not to let my own worry show.
"I know how much these people hate you. I wanted to have at least a few hours of peace before you'd have to face their shit." She explained and I just sighed, wishing I did have those few hours but knowing that it wouldn't happen.
"Its okay." I answered and I was about to hug her but she stood up abruptly.
"I'm not going to lose you again." She stated, partly yelling.
"What?"
"I'm not stupid. You're on probation. If you do anything, punch someone or even bump their shoulder, you'll go back in jail and I don't know if I can handle it." She stated, tears in her eyes, and my eyes softened as realization hit me.
"Don't worry. I can control myself." I tried a soft smile grazing my lips.
"Oh yeah because that was so obvious the other morning!" She exclaimed sarcastically and I looked down, knowing that she had been told about my little episode in the house's garage.
"Listen," I said getting up and walked to her. "I won't do anything stupid. Even though i know they'll ask for it, I'll keep my mouth shut and my fists to myself. Okay?" I said grabbing her shoulders.
"You promise?" she asked unsure, worry and fear on her features and I couldn't help but feel broken hearted at the sight.
"I promise." I said confidently. She just smiled before I wrapped my arms around her.
"Now get out of here. I gotta get ready." I stated and she complied.

------

The walk to the high school was pretty sure. Lauren and Taylor were walking ahead, a few meters in front of us, while Chris, Sarah and I were behind. Chris and I had bonded and he was now what I could consider a friend although my trust issues made it quite hard for me to trust him fully. Lauren hadn't talked to me, she just nodded her head in acknowledgment when she saw me as if that was her way to greet and that was all. I could feel her eyes on me every now and then but I shrugged it off most of the time, forcing myself not to meet her gaze. She wanted me to stay away and that was what I was going to do. I stopped abruptly when I noticed how close we were to the high school making the other to stop along with me even Lauren and Taylor.
"What's wrong?" Chris asked me as I stated at the building and the mass of people that was coming in and out the building and standing in front of it.
"You should go in first." I stated making them frown. I sigh and looked at Sarah. "If you get in there with me by your side, people will..." I stopped and my eyes fell on Lauren who was looking at me intently. "People will hate you because of me." Lauren seemed to have realized that I was making an allusion to how she had lost her best friend because of me and her eyes showed an extreme tenderness which only made me weak. "I don't want that." I said turning my attention to the others. "So you go in there alone. And I'll follow after." I declared. Chris was about to argue but Taylor just grabbed him by the arm and led him to the building. My eyes fell on Lauren once more and she looked at me apologetically before shaking her head and walking away, thing I had totally expected from her but felt disappointment as she didn't even try to argue. I looked at Sarah and waited for her to go but she just grabbed my hand, giving me a reassuring smile.
"You're more important than them to me. I'd rather have them hate me than turning my back on you." She stated and I smiled, knowing that no matter what she would always be there and I love that, I love that I still had someone to rely on when the world hated me. "Let's go then."