Chapter 14/ On the Great Sea

The figure's voice... It's so familiar, yet I can't understand why.

Link echoes my thoughts. "Have we met?"

Does her stance falter?

"...No. I am a lost Sheikah. My name is Sheik, and I have been doing everything in my power to save Hyrule Kingdom. I knew there was a group of heroes on a mission to do the same, and I have been trying to find you."

"How did you know about us?" I ask.

"The gods cannot leave Hyrule in despair. I knew they would send heroes upon the land. I presume you all are on your way to the Fire Temple to recover the treasure?" Sheik says.

"Treasure?" Katya repeats. "We're only going there to restore Hyrule's and our memories. What's left of them, anyway."

"I know that. But the only way to do that is by recovering the treasure. Come aboard my ship, heroes, and I will take you across the Great Sea," Sheik beckons, hopping aboard the Sandship swiftly and nimbly.

I glance back at the others, and Link is the first to follow her. Then Katya and Silverio climb up.

I sigh. "Something about her is so..."

"Familiar," Iquissa finishes. "I know what you mean. This could be a trap. Be careful."

Shrugging, Iquissa helps me as I board the mysterious Sandship.

Sheik turns the large wheel, and the ship begins to sail over the watery horizon.

I overhear Link's conversation with the captain.

"Are you sure we've never met?" he asks again. "You look a lot like someone I once knew..."

Sheik simply shakes her head, keeping her eyes to the sea. Her expression is impossible to read, as her scarf conceals most of her face.

"Uh oh..." Silverio murmurs beside me, glancing over the hull of the ship. Stranger ships are approaching us.

"Pirates!" Katya shrieks.

"What do we do?" I ask, panicked.

"Fight them off. I'll try to take down the ships with the canons," Sheik tells us, calmly and collectively.

I draw my golden sword, and beside me, Link raises the Master Sword, in his fighting stance.

"Get ready," Ciela the fairy advises in my ear, startling me.

As the invading ships sail parallel to us, hordes of enemies jump onto the ship. The Sandship rocks precariously, and I have to clutch the side to keep my balance.

"Miniblins, the pirates of the sea," Link growls, charging the oncoming monsters with his blade drawn.

I follow suit and start slashing away at the invaders. I'm still a bit new and rusty with my swordplay skills, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

"Iquissa, protect Sheik!" I shout. She nods and sends a small tornado to orbit around the captain, sending the surrounding Miniblins flying. Iquissa causes several waves of vines to erupt from the floorboards, capturing groups of the demons and flinging them overboard, into the raging sea.

I blaze through the enemies. I hear a thud and see a Miniblin thrown against the side of the ship by one of Katya's flying daggers. She annihilates a swarm of the pirates with a blast of her shadow magic.

"Someone, steer the ship," Sheik says imperatively. Silverio hurries over and takes control of the wheel.

Sheik takes her golden harp and strums a quick tune, then she yells, "Everybody! Grab on to something!"

Iquissa and I flail ourselves against the side of the Sandship, while Katya and Link take cover under the opposite side. A gigantic wave leaps over the side and washes away a large amount of the Miniblins.

No more fleets of the enemies escape the opposing ships now. Link and I take care of the remaining pests, sending them overboard with our swords. A strong breeze blows from Iquissa's staff, exterminating the last ones cowering behind barrels.

Sheik takes the wheel from Silverio as the pirate ships begin to retreat.

"I can see land!" calls Katya.

"That's the Eldin Province. The particular place you're headed, where the Fire Temple is, is called the Isle of Ember," Sheik explains.

I frown. "And people live there?"

"They used to. They fled the isle after the Red Lions took over."

"It's not going to be easy getting to the temple. We've got to be careful," Link warns.

Sheik halts the ship, allowing Silverio to fling the anchor into the shallow waters.

We dismount the Sandship. As soon as we step onto the shore, we hear the battle cries of more monsters, hiding in the shadows. It looks like the entire volcanic island has been transformed from a village to a fort.

We prepare for battle as several Bulblins mounted upon demonic boars charge us. Before I can attack them, I hit the ground.

Everything goes black.