Shi

The phone rang and I rolled across the double bed to either jam the screen's red button or the green button. A strange, distant part of me missed the memories of bring my hand down on a snooze button or slamming a phone back on to the stand, but as soon as the white letters on the iPhone caller ID registered, my heart stopped. 

'Hubby' with a kissy face on the end. I snapped my head back to look at the ceiling, desperately trying to prevent any tear from dropping. With a shaky hand, I pressed 'answer'. 

"Hey hun, how's the trip?" a sleepy Sasuke answered, and I stifled a sob. It is now one in the afternoon in America, but two in the morning in Japan. He called during my supposed lunch break to not disturb me. I want to hate him, hate the way he would care about me so much, the way he would be willing to throw away everything for me. The way he would actually cease to live if I died. 

But he wouldn't die if I was still alive, right?

"It's going great!" I blurted out some random facts about the phantom project, and ended with "Sorry, gotta go". With a heavy heart, I touched the end button and allowed the tears to wash my face again. 

"If you keep crying, you will eventually go blind," Naruto's voice came from the doorway, concern evident in his voice. I sighed, and beckoned for him. He peeled himself off the door frame and padded towards me. 

"I've purposely left the number a Japanese number, so he will now have suspicions. We now have to fuel it further, by giving him more evidence," I pointed towards the cafe across the street, which was one that me and Sasuke visited often when we were dating. 

"He is a strangely nostalgic person, so whenever he wants to recall something, he would go to a place with a smell associated with the thought. We will be there at noon today. I can wear my sunglasses, a new pair I brought that hasn't been shown to Sasuke yet (and never will)  so I can sit facing the door. We hold hands, and just as he walks in and sits down, you say something and we walk out."

"You are a genius, Ama," Naruto grins, and pecks my lightly on the cheek. 

"And you are a master actor," I forced a smile, fingers gripping my phone like a lifeline. 

***

"You know, I'm starting to suspect that he wouldn't come."

Naruto held up a menu and whispered it to me. I shook my head, and pressed my lips in a line. 

"He will. He's done this for the death of all his family members" and soon there will be one more to mourn.

"You're not dead."

"You know as well as I do, Naruto."

He hung his head in defeat, dropping the menu. I rolled my eyes, and was ready to bent down to get it when a pale hand reached down and offered it to me instead. 

"Here," he smiled, yet his onyx eyes were as cold as winter night. I froze, sweat clamming my palms, eyes wide behind the sunglasses. 

"T..thank you," I kicked Naruto's leg to get him out of the seat. By some miracle Sasuke didn't notice the blond at all, vision tunnelled on me. 

"You look like someone I know," he mused, sliding into the booth opposite me. I gulped and smiled nervously. 

"D-désolé, mo-monsieur?," I stuttered, thanking everything for the French I learnt in grade eight.

"Oh, sorry. I don't think she knows French. Or does she?" with one last cold smirk, he sauntered out the cafe.

"Hey Ama?" Naruto have snuck back in, but I was in too much of a shock, and a massive gash had opening in my heart.

Even though this is what I want to have happen, I was still falling apart. Slowly, I took off my glasses, dabbing my eye with the napkin.

"He didn't recognise me," I forced out.