Chapter Seven

Dedicated to the above for her lovely comment on the previous chapter (:

______________________________________________

Seven

          “What the hell is your problem?” someone shouts. “How did you not see her? She wasn’t even in the middle of the road! She was on the side!”

            Somebody yells back to the voice but I’m too far gone to hear it. I just want to pull up my comforter and sleep, blaming the TV and the loud volume for keeping me awake this long. I just want to sleep.

            “Are you…are you drunk?” The voice pauses. “Are you kidding me? I’m calling the police and an ambulance!”

            I feel a hand weave its way through my hair, tilting my head off my unusually hard pillow. I turn away from it, trying to fight waking up but they won’t let me.

            “Hey, hey, don’t sleep now, you need to stay awake, alright? We’re going to get you some help.”

            I recognize the voice and let my eyes flutter open. My heart skips a beat at the sound but all I can see are bright lights and blurred colours. I close my eyes.

            “Mom, did you call them?” he shouts. Somebody responds but I can’t make out their words. “You’re going to be okay, I promise you’re going to be okay. Just stay with me.”

            “Cade?” I croak out. My fingers search the air for his, and I end up grasping nothing.

            “Y-yes?” he sounds unsure but his hand finds mine and then I smile. “You need to stay with me, do you understand?” I keep smiling, waiting for sleep to wash over my but he shakes me a bit, pushing me further out of the fog. “Stay with me.”

            He sounds so worried; so unlike himself. He’s never been one to worry; he was always so carefree, always knowing everything would work itself out and that no matter what happened, things would be okay.

            A blaring noise breaks his murmuring voice and soon he’s lifting me up, up, up until his words blend in with all the others. Everyone is talking to me at once – voices I don’t recognize, sounds that scare me.

            “Cade?” I call out, my voice raspy. All I want is him. I want him here with me, I want him to help me. Pain throbs in the back of my skull and I wince. “Cade!”

            “Is there a Cade here?” a man’s voice shouts.

            For a moment, nobody responds, but then a quiet voice stutters that it’s him. There’s movement and I ignore the worry about what’s going on when I feel Cade’s fingers touching mine. Everything’s okay.

            “You need to stay awake, alright?” the man’s voice repeats.