Chapter Thirteen

A/N: I guess none of my silent voters want any dedications because I don't see any new comments from people who haven't recieved a dedication yet...

_____________________________________________

             Thirteen

          I refuse to talk to my parents. Even as my dad tries to figure out whether we’re picking up Hadley at her house or here, I still do not give him one single word. If it weren’t for Hadley, I wouldn’t be going at all, still sleeping with my covers pulled up over my head. But she seemed so excited and since my blowout last night, avoiding her isn’t much of an option unless I want to completely forsaken our friendship.

            Somehow we manage to go to Hadley’s house to pick her up. I think my father picks this fact up when I stroll outside, not saying a word, and get into the passenger seat of the car.

            “Hi Hadley,” I say exaggeratedly as she climbs into the back seat.

            Despite the look and frown my father gives me, he greets her as well. Hadley instantly knows something is up but nobody discusses it. Instead Dad drones on about what’s going on today and his job to Hadley. Somehow, she manages to listen and respond. I rest my elbow on the arm rest and lean my cheek in my palm, staring out the window. This day just started and I already want it to end.

            Things continue on just as such, even when we get on the boat. For a while Hadley and I just talk about random things, staring out at the water. When she mentions the get-together again, this time I’m excited. I still haven’t talked to Evan about it yet and haven’t seen him since we went into town. Though he has my phone number, I don’t have his. Hanging out has to be up to him for now.

            “I’m going to go find the bathroom,” Hadley says, tearing away from the railing. Water splashes against the boat as she leaves. A few moments go by and then I think she comes back, but the person standing to my right is much, much taller.

            “I’m sorry about what I said,” Max says.

            I turn my face away from him, showing that I don’t want to discuss last night – or anything, for that matter – with him right now. Or maybe ever.

            “It was out of line for me to say anything when it must still upset set. I just saw the photo and asked your dad-“

            “Stop.”

            Max quiets and closes his open mouth.

            “Please,” I say as I turn around, “just leave me alone.”

            After I find Hadley, Emile spots the whales and everyone gets excited. As Hadley and I watch from the side of the boat, Dad and Max run around like it’s some kind of live or die mission. There’s a small wet spot from the water down the right side of the boat and even though they know it’s there, they keep running down it, slipping each time. Max almost falls but catches himself by holding the railing. I laugh and I know he can hear me.