ACT II: CHAPTER FOUR: QUEEN OF PEACE

ACT II: OPENING SCORE

CHAPTER FOUR: QUEEN OF PEACE

"Piper! Smile this way, love!"

Wrapped up in the strong arms of Finn Hanover—now her official boyfriend—Piper's smile for the camera is positively devious. Behind her stands the logo for her fashion label, perched on the runway of her first ever fashion show—slowly building the foundations of Piper's presence in people's lives. Eric had decreed Piper's endeavour into fashion as something which would bring a better pay off than looking into the otherwise boring and unresponsive methods of shovelling out propaganda. If they're wearing her clothes, talking about her style, then she will be a name they know, in their houses, within their social circles.

Piper soon waves them away, redirecting them to the models with clothes she spent the better part of five years designing the moment she'd been accepted onto the internship program. In her new heels, she reaches Finn's shoulder, whom is all dressed up in a black tux, the white shirt a dazzling contrast with the colour of his skin. "Honey," she simpers, vaguely aware of one of the runners standing off to the side, prepared to give her a notification, but smart enough not to interrupt what seems to be a sickeningly romantic moment. Her freshly manicured nails move to cup his cheek, teasing the day old stubble—baby faces can't be trusted—as her smile is bright, her words darker, "please go and tell Jesse that if he touches one more glass of champagne there will be consequences."

"Anything for you," Finn pauses, dark eyes blinking back at her, almost black in their intensity. "My Queen." His look is deliberate, reminding her of late night conversations with just the two of them, outlining all possible aspects of the relationship they will show to the world around them. Image is everything, both of them understand this, and reputations must be immaculate to even dream of ruling a country for the 'common good'. Finn's murky past as a serial dater played right into Piper's hands, with Annie's reminder of assurance that Piper has been able to tame the wild animal, to fulfil a naïve dream amongst teenagers of getting the playboy to settle. Finn's obvious adoration of her is also helpful.

As Finn walks away to accomplish Piper's bidding, her assistant approaches. Bridget is a hand delivered gift by dearest, Troy Madden—appearing in her offices on a Monday morning, fumbling through introductions, hair pulled back tight in a French braid—the chances of her knowing such elegance are slim—though, Bridget proves to be a poor gift, at that. Her social cues are rusty, her posture isn't tall enough, and her presence isn't strong enough to garner the attention that she deserves. But, Bridget is perfect, she is exactly what Piper needs, an unforgettable ear in the most notable circles, and at nineteen and hopeful, she will serve quite nicely. Annie also manages to tolerate her presence in her flat on late nights spent scheming, as Jesse has had the foresight to not try and appear too friendly with newcomers.

Bridget stands in front of Piper, dark hair, dark freckles, mocha coloured skin, wide eyed, clipboard at her side. "There's someone who wants to see you," she says, eyes bright but not stupid, and Piper's smirk is steadfastly becoming a grin. Troy had done well for himself, finding someone so exceptional in the attempt to put himself back in Piper's good books—the transition is slow, and dependent on an apology, of which she hasn't received. "It's important."

"Walk with me, Bridget," Piper has already scoped out an old contact of her fathers, standing with his two gangly sons—both of whom are scrambling with open palms to catch the fortune their father is sitting upon, neither of them realising that they'll be lucky to catch a glimpse of it before it disappears into the hands of an overseas bank account, ready to be picked up from his handsome illegitimate child—stood stiff, exchanging social courtesies with anyone unfortunate enough to get dumped into conversation with either of them. So when Piper arrives, the lady of the hour, a smile on her face, offering champagne for their long travels, they will be beside themselves—because for one small second, they have been deemed as important, as a stop on a circuit where words mean nothing and actions are everything.