Chapter 2

"Dude he is so into you!! This is just like you! It's been five minutes and you already got the smoothie bitch wrapped around your finger!"

                  I shrug, "He's not that into me."

                 "So what? Are you like writing movie sequels now? She's Just Not That Into You, He's not that into me. I thought we were going to become stars together!"

                  "I never said that!"

              "But you did say you'd never leave me alone. Best friends forever right? Oh and baby I am GOING places! You just wait. The world is going to know the name Demitria Devonne Lovato!"

                   "Yeah, because she'll be the first one to drown in dog poop."

                   "Don't take your self confidence problems out on me. He liked you."

                    "Yeah, whatever" I say as we come upon our new house. "This place is sick." Demi gives me a look before throwing open the door.

                 "We're home!" Demi calls into the empty illusion of a house. I think that's the only thing that sucks about living in this house. It's big, it feels lonely.

                   "In here!" called Dianna from the kitchen. We make our way to room, the smell of meatloaf becoming more and more present as we zeroed in on the kitchen.

                 "What do you think of the town? Meet any people?" Eddie questions from his spot at the dining table.

               "It's great!" I say, cutting anything Demi could've said off with my own words. "The smoothies were perfect!"

                "Good! Good! Well I'm going to jump in the shower before dinner is done."

               Demi's eyes trained on Eddie until we could hear the shower running upstairs. She quickly turned to her mom with a look I didn't trust in her eyes. "Some guy totally has it for Echo!"

                  Dianna gave me a skeptical look. "Is there a less dramatic version of this story Mona Lita? One that Demi hasn't touched?"

               "We met a guy at the smoothie shop named Brendon. He was really nice about us being new and offered to show me where the classes are at in school so that I don't get lost."

                 "NO NO NO!! That is not all that happened!" Demi shouts, stamping her foot like a four year old whose mom just refused them a candy bar. "He played her a song on his guitar."

              "No he didn't! He played the old man and woman who paid him to play them a song, a song!"

             "Then why did he wink at you? Or tell you he really wished you had liked the song, and sing a song by the band on your- my stolen t shirt!? Hmmm??"

              "Did that all happen?" Dianna says, her soothing southern accent calming me down slightly.

              "In different contexts, but yes."

              "Well, you know what I think?"

               "What?" I sigh, relieved that Demis mom is going to bring some maturity and sense into our conversation.

             "Echo's gotta' boyfriend. Miss Mona Lita has a Da Vinci!" She says, dancing around the room, swinging her hips and bleach blond hair.