Chapter II

We're going to the beach today

We're gonna laugh and sing our cares away

~ My Time With You (David Choi and Kina Grannis)

When I got home, I changed into my polka-dotted swimsuit, slipped on my flip-flops and braided my hair. I took off my tortoise shell glasses – I only needed them for reading – and grabbed my pink wayfarers.

I would be meeting Ariel, Nate, and our friend, Leo, at the beach. After I put on my sarong and grabbed my tote bag, I ventured out to the sandy dunes. It was 1:30, so the beach was extremely crowded. Tired parents chased excited children around elaborate sand castles, threatening to fall apart. I smiled at the familiar sight.

Over the years, things changed – what with my sister living in New York, my best friend and brother dating, Ariel becoming a cheerleader and me staying a happy nerd. However, this was comforting to see: the more things changed, the more they stayed the same.

I walked over to our signature spot, under the cliff on which the lighthouse was perched. We'd established this when we were much younger, when we'd have our adventures here year-round. Whether we were pirates gone on a seafaring adventure or secret service spies undercover, we always knew to come back here, to our spot.

I saw Leo waving at me where Ariel had set up a lavish picnic under a rainbow coloured umbrella. Leo enveloped me in a massive bear hug.

I giggled, "Hey, Leo, miss me?"

He looked at me strangely. "Of course! I haven't seen you for, oh, I don't know, 23 hours? I nearly perished without your touch!" He put his hand on his forehead, mocking the signature damsel-in-distress pose.

I rolled my eyes. "Oh please. Don't be such a drama queen." I smirked.

"For you? Never." He rolled his darling gray eyes back at me.

From behind, I heard some girls squealing. "Leo looks so hot! Is he gonna surf soon?" I turned around and they pretended to not see me.

Leo took it in stride. "Hey, ladies," he flashed his devilish grin.

Poor girls.

Leo was utterly gorgeous; perfect sandy blonde hair over smouldering gray eyes, six-pack abs and he was six foot four. Captain of the track team and a surfer. Total eye candy. The catch? He was undeniably, irrevocably, and completely –

"Hey, that new guy's pretty cute. You seen him yet?" 

– Gay.

"Cruel, cruel Leo. Why do you choose to leave a trail of broken hearts behind you?" I followed his gaze... and gasped.

"It's not like it's a secret. If they choose out of their own will to love me, it's their problem." He followed my gaze and noticed whom I was staring at.

Ariel spoke up. "Yup, the new employee at our book shop, Damon. Handsome, isn't he?" She pointedly turned to my brother, who had an adorable jealous expression on his face. She burst out laughing.

"Oh, does our little Isa have a crushy-crush?" Leo chastised me too much.

I, of course, blushed furiously. "No, he's just really nice is all." Which reminded me . . . "He gave me these tickets for the open mic at La Coquille," I said, showing them the tickets,

"You mean the one I begged you two to sign up for?" Ariel gave both my brother and I an icy glare.

"Come on, Ariel, you know Nate was busy with football, as I was with AP."