[Chapter Four - Sweet Escape]

-- J O H N --

After they had left the kitchen, John walked upstairs with Paul following behind him. Paul was full due to the fact that he ate the entire plate of cookies. John didn't mind though, he found Paul to be adorable when he smiled as he would chew on the soft, chewy pastry.

He closed the door behind them as Paul sat by the window, watching the night fall into place. John sat across from him, watching him, wondering what was on his mind.
"What are ye thinkin' about, 'Macca?" John asked as he set his hand on Paul's elbow. Paul looked at his friend wearily, giving him a tired smile.

"Nothing important," Paul lied. He was actually thinking about John's opinion on his appearance. Did he actually think he was beautiful?
"I was just thinking about what ye said. You know, about what you thought about me physically."

"You don't believe me, do you?" John smirked. He pulled away from holding onto his arm and leaned back in his chair; staring at the beautiful boy in front of him. His eyes were half-closed, as if he were plastered. His smile was still evident, and then he began to speak; his voice comforting in soft.

"Paul I think you are beautiful. You may not see it, yer 'dad' may not see it, but I see it. I see every beautiful thing about you."
John leaned forward so now that now he was looking closely into Paul's hazel eyes. He was at a loss for words, for a moment he was in a deep pool of hazel; trapped within their green specks hidden in between the brown iris.

"Yer my friend now, Paul. My opinion should be the only one that matters."

With that moment of silence, they both mutually agreed to get ready for bed.

-- P A U L --

Paul laid on the floor underneath his sleeping bag. He stared at the celing, and the thought of what John had told him before they shut the lights off made him smile.
He finally had a friend.

He tossed and turned, but for some reason, he couldn't fall asleep as soundly as his friend above him.
"John?"
John stirred in his sleep, then sat up as he looked down to see a restless Paul looking up at him. His hair was disheveled and by God he looked hot.

Hold on a second, John wasn't a fuckin' fairy. He quickly shook that thought of Paul out of his head, and then smiled at his friend.

"Yeah mate?"
"Sorry to wake you mate, I just can't sleep. So, I was wondering if I could bunk with ye until I get sleepy, you know?"

John nodded, then realized he was shirtless. When Paul sat up and stood to his feet, he saw Paul's shifted stomach. He wore a large, dark-green short-sleeved shirt. And all he could think about was how adorable he looked.

Damn it John! Quit thinking fairy thoughts!

When Paul pulled the covers away from John's body, he looked at John's slightly toned stomach. He found himself staring at it for a while, just wanting to touch it.
He wanted to run his hand on his chest to his stomach and feel its hard surface.

"What the fuck are ye staring at?" John snapped, causing Paul to jolt in surprise. "What are you, a fuckin' fruit?"

"N-no." with that, Paul laid adjacent to John, now facing his stern face. They were so close, and all Paul wanted to do was hug him. Hug him for defending him in front of his own relative; hug him for calling him beautiful; hug him for being a friend.

John stared back at Paul and smiled sweetly at him. They were silent, and the older lad couldn't come up with anything to talk about at this hour.
"John?" Paul mumbled. John snapped out of his trance and nodded up, asking him what's up?

"Would it silly to ask you if ye could sing to me?"

Remember John, you're not queer. What you are about to do isn't queer!

"Sure. What song, mate?"
"Anythin' ye want to sing, John." Paul shrugged, then smiled.

John cleared his throat slightly, then began to sing in a soft tone, all the while rubbing his friend's clothed back.

Close your eyes
Let me tell you all the reasons why
I think you're one of a kind.
Here's to you
The one that always pulls us through
Always do what you gotta do
You're one of a kind
Thank God you're mine. . .

He continued to sing, and John's heart would flutter whenever Paul would close his eyes. He continued to sing, making sure Paul would go to sleep with a good rest.

It's your beauty that betrays you
Your smile gives you away.
Cause you're made of strength and mercy
And my soul is yours to save
I know this much is true
When my world was dark and blue
I know the only one who rescued me was you. . .

John whispered the chorus once again, then stopped once he realized his friend was asleep. He smiled at the sight, then turned his back towards him.
He would have sang the rest of the song, but he didn't know the lyrics. He only knew those two verses and the chorus. He was surprised he knew Buddy Holly's, That'll Be The Day.

In an instant, he closed his eyes and began to dream.
Paul was asleep, with a smile spread on his lips.