||9|| Beside You

It had been a couple of days since my drunken stint.

Tom and I had gone back to normal, he didn't bring it up and neither did I.

I'd started talking to Erin and Kat more. David had come to hangout just yesterday.

I was waking up and watching TV when my phone started ringing.

Without looking, I answered, "Yellow?"

Tom wasted to time. "Pack your things right now."

My heart dropped- was he kicking me out?

Feat swelled in my chest and panic set in- I had no where to go, nothing to do...

"Wh- what," I stammered.

"Go pack your bag! You're flying out here with me."

I let a breath out, relieved. And then tense again.

"Wait, you want me to fly to England," I asked incredulously, now sitting up straight and leaning over with my elbows resting on my knees.

I hated flying. Tom knew that.

"Yes," he said, "and you're going to stay here with me for the last week and a half I'm here."

I smiled, though I made excuses. "No I better not, Tom. It's your personal time with your family and-"

He cut me off, "Nonsense, Bea. You may as well be family. Besides, my mother and sisters would love to meet the girl who has been taking such great care of me for nearly a year."

I asked, "Okay, but what about tick-"

I could imagine him waving his hand around and rolling his eyes as he said, "I've already taken care of that, Bea. Just pack and get to the airport, okay?"

******

I sat on the plane, waiting for take off. 

I sent a quick group text to David, Kat, and Erin to tell them what was going on before having to turn my phone off.

I looked to my left as a kid who looked to be about twelve or thirteen sat down, looking anxiously at me.

She had a short black bob, brown eyes, and from what I saw she had braces.

"Hey there. You okay?"

She spoke softly and quietly with a New York accent, "This is my first time flying. I'm scared of planes and heights."

I smiled warmly at her, "I hate flying too. But I do it all of the time. It's a part of my job description. Don't worry, this plane will land before you know it and you'll be on the ground safely."

She smiled at me, seeming to relax slightly.

"So what's your name," I asked with a polite smile.

She looked back up at me as she twiddled her thumbs together. "Sophie."

I held my hand out to her as I said, "I'm Bea. It's nice to meet you."

She smiled and shook my hand, seeming to lighten up a little now that she knew the stranger beside her.
"Where are your parents?" I asked.

She looked down at her hands and said in an almost whisper, "They're at home. I'm going to England for school."