9:25 on 5/06

Lauren considers Camila to be a termite. She's made herself at home in Lauren's make-shift house and Lauren isn't sure there's any way to get rid of her. She doesn't mind the company (though she'll never admit it out loud).

Camila thinks of Lauren as a galaxy. She can never quite figure it out. She's constantly learning more about the girl. Like how yesterday, Lauren brought home a can of spray paint and covered the apartment walls with absentminded scribbles. When Camila asked her what she was doing, the girl simply told her it was therapy.

Lauren disappears every morning. Camila still isn't sure where she goes. She always comes back, though. And she always splits a turkey sandwich with Camila. That's just how things work.

So about a week later, when Camila doesn't feel the familiar dip in the couch, and there isn't a turkey sandwich in her hands, she is concerned. But she doesn't know what to do. The only version of Lauren she knows is the one within these four walls. She knows nothing of where she disappears to during the day.

So she waits. She waits and she waits and she even makes a turkey sandwich for herself because she's so hungry. But she saves half for Lauren. She even wraps it up nicely in a little plastic bag and draws a smiley face on a napkin.

But when Lauren gets home, she doesn't even eye the sandwich on the counter. Instead, she falls back on the couch beside Camila and nudges the now-sleeping girl awake.

A bottle is shoved in Camila's hand and before she can even fully wake up, Lauren is already downing half of her own bottle. Camila's eyes flicker over to the six pack on the coffee table. But she doesn't say anything. They don't question each other. That's just the way it is.