5:40 on 6/18

Lauren won't even look at her for at least a week. All of her turkey sandwiches are left untouched. They pile up in the trash can and Camila eventually stops making them.

She spends most of her time on the roof. Lauren comes home and drinks. Camila is tired of drinking. Lauren is tired of smoking. So Camila smokes on the roof while Lauren drinks in the apartment.

It's the same scenario tonight. Camila has ditched her worn shoes and opted for going barefoot. Her feet dangle down over the edge of the roof and she stares down into the darkness.

She's watching the ash from her cigarette dissipate into nothingness when there's light footsteps behind her. And then suddenly, a pair of bare feet dangle down next to hers and Camila can feel the warmth radiating off of Lauren's body (and she can smell the same hint of cinnamon that she decides must be laced in Lauren's DNA).

"I know what you mean now," Lauren whispers. Camila keeps her eyes fixed on her cigarette, flicking the tip and watching more of the ash flutter down to the ground. When Camila doesn't respond, Lauren continues to talk.

"You don't really want to fall, do you? You just need to know that if you wanted to, you could," Lauren nods slowly. Camila doesn't move a muscle when the dark haired girl takes the cigarette from between her lips and brings it to her own.

"I get it now," Lauren whispers, letting a puff of smoke escape her lips and cloud the air in front of them. Camila just keeps her eyes fixed on the ground. She knows the moment she looks into those radiant green eyes that every wall she's tried so hard to build up will only come crashing down (once again). And she can't let that happen.

The cigarette is placed back between her fingers and before Camila even realizes what is going on, Lauren is gone, leaving the brown eyed girl on the roof just as it begins to rain.

Camila begins to wonder if maybe the covers on their furniture are there for a good reason.