p r o l o g u e 1

Prologue • Maddie
one year ago

⠀The sound of the buzzer stings my ears as I lunge for the ladder.

⠀"That's a new record, Mads!" Chloe shows me my time and extends a hand.

⠀I take it and heave myself onto the tile floor of the indoor-swimming pool. Chloe drapes a towel over my shoulders.

⠀Then, they begin. Voices.

⠀They start with screeching, "Why do you try? You'll fail in life anyway.
You're worthless, just get use to the feeling of always coming second to everyone."

⠀Then they whisper "Give up already, you suck at swimming and almost everything else."

⠀Taken by surprise, I cling the towel to my dampened skin and begin trembling.

⠀"Maddie! Maddie! Maddie!" I barely feel Chloe's hands shaking my shoulders as the light headedness begins to take over.

⠀My vision grows blurrier by the second until finally, I feel myself slipping into unconsciousness.

⠀Almost as quickly as they begin, the voices are silenced to a dull hum inside my head.

// short prologue, sorry. but hey guys, it's karson hear. fyi any chapters written in maddie's pov are me while any in chloes pov are marissa.
i'm currently eating jalapeño doritos. have you ever had them? OMG THEYRE DELICIOUS
hope you're having a good day (:
~karson