o n e

Chapter One • Maddie
⠀I cross my arms and roll my eyes, then look around the room. "I'm Maddie. I'm 16. I have schizophrenia." Thomas, our support group leader, gives me a plastic smile. "We support you Chloe. We hope you overcome this, um... schizophrenia."

⠀I scoff at him, as if schizophrenia is curable. He shrugs as if to say, "Hey kid, I'm here for the money."

⠀I scan the room again and lay eyes on a gorgeous boy with chocolate eyes and hair to match.

⠀He flashed a smile at me and I returned the favor, he returned his attention to Thomas. He had been called on. "Uh, I'm Lucas. 17. I struggle with bipolar depression."

⠀Thomas checks his watch and looks up, "Whelp, looks like time is up for the day. I hope to see each and everyone of you next week and-" He quits mid sentence and realizes almost everyone has either left the room or is exiting now.

⠀I walk outside of the therapy room which is held in an old metal building next to my high school.

⠀My combat boots tap the sidewalk as I wait for my Mom to arrive so I can go home. I look up and see the Lucas standing next to me, he rises about two feet taller than me.

⠀"If we're anything alike you must hate that therapy-support group." He smirked at me in an 'I'm so tough' manner. I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, so we both hate the therapy-support group. That doesn't mean we're a damn thing alike."

⠀As much as I do want to be friends with Lucas, I can't. The reason being my disorder. Many people don't understand it, so they leave. If I became friends with Lucas and he left me, it wouldn't be the first time.

⠀As I see my moms blue Buick pulling into the parking lot Lucas turns his head towards me. "I ain't giving up on you, blue eyes."

⠀Before opening the passenger door and crawling in the Buick, I look to him. "What are you, country, or badass. Make up your mind."

⠀As soon as I get home I walk to Chloe's house. She's my next door neighbor and, cliché as it is, my best friend.

⠀We sit on her bed, eat popcorn and watch movie after movie. She drones on about Josh. "He's just so perfect and ugh I just love him."

⠀I roll my eyes and laugh as I usually do when Chloe talks about Josh. Personally, I think the two make the cutest couple.

⠀"So, Maddie, have you met any cute boys?" She teases. My mind instantly jumps to Lucas and I feel my heart skip a beat.

⠀I shake my head, "No. Not everyone can be as lucky as you and get a Josh Hyland." I roll my eyes playfully and she giggles. "Maddie, you can tell me if you've got a secret lover."

⠀"Well- Okay, so I met this super duper cute boy in therapy today and he's the cutest and just- ugh." I take a deal breath after finishing that sentence.

⠀I look over at Chloe, and her smile grows faint. She starts shaking, until finally she stops and nothing but a lifeless Chloe is left.

// this isn't based off of the tfios ok.
xoxo, karson.