Chapter 1

Bella's POV

"Hey." 

I turned at the sound of the voice, and was met by a pale, golden-eyed boy with bronze hair. "Can I help you?" I asked him, confused. I was confused, because I had no idea who he was.

"Yeah. I saw you walking by, and couldn't help notice how incredibly good-looking you are." he responded.

My cheeks instantly burned, which made me realize I was blushing, and there was a small smile on my face now, as well. I had to admit this guy had charm.

"I'm Edward," he smiled a crooked smile at me. 

"Bella," I smiled back. 

"Hi," Another voice joined in on the conversation.

I turned my head to see another pale, golden-eyed boy, this time with dark hair. Confused again, I looked back at Edward. 

"Sorry. This is my brother, Emmett," Edward introduced us. "And these are my parents, Carlisle and Esme, and my siblings, Jasper, Alice, and Rosalie." 

I smiled shyly at them. Then, I looked up at Carlisle and tilted my head to the right, looking him over. Then, I glanced back at Edward, and did the same to him. 

"What was that look for?" Edward asked, his brows furrowed.

"I'm trying to see if I can trust you..." I said, still eyeing him.

"And can you?" he asked me. 

"Yes," I smiled now. 

"What about Emmett?" Edward nodded toward him. "Can you trust him?" 

I gave Emmett the same look and nodded. "Yes, I can trust him." 

Emmett suddenly became excited. "Can you trust the rest of them?" 

I did the same to everyone else, but skipped over Jasper and Alice because they had been talking. After I was finished, I went back to Alice and told them yes, I could trust her. Then, I focused on Jasper. It took me longer, and I became frustrated and shocked. I slowly straightened up and turned away. 

"What's wrong?" Edward wanted to know. 

"I can't read him..." I nearly whispered, not taking my eyes off Jasper. 

"You can't get a read on him?" 

"No," I responded, highly frustrated by this. 

"Has this ever happened before?" 

Now, I looked at Edward. "No. Never," I turned away from them.

"Wait, where are you going?" Edward asked me.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm just thinking," I said to him. I wish Jasper was here. I thought. Jasper was my brother. He had joined the army when I was 16 and he 17. Then, shortly after, he went missing. I had never heard from him again. As my brother's face appeared in my mind, I paused, then slowly turned to look at Jasper.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Jasper asked me. 

I shook my head. "You just look so much like my brother," I explained. "He has the same blonde hair as you, the same accent." 

"Accent?" Emmett asked me. "Where is your brother from?" 

"We originally are from Texas. My brother joined the army when he was 17, and I was 16. A little while after that, he went missing. I never heard from him again." 

"He's probably dead then," Emmett said.

"No," I glared at him, anger in my eyes. "I refuse to believe that. I have to believe that he is alive somewhere, that he's happy," I said. "He's not dead, he can't be." 

"Have you been looking for him?" Jasper asked me. 

"I was for two months. Then, I couldn't handle being around all the memories that were there, so I moved here," I shrugged. "I knew that I would never find him, so I stopped searching. But I always hope that somehow, he will end up finding me. All I want is to see him again, at least one last time." 

Jasper didn't say anything, only looked at me. They all looked at me. I became uncomfortable, so I said, "I should go." 

"Where do you live?" Edward asked me. 

"I'm staying with some friends. They travel a lot, so I don't see them often, but I stay at their place," I said. 

"Your friends travel a lot?" Jasper asked me. "What are their names?" 

I gave him a strange look. "Peter and Charlotte. Why, do you know them?" 

"No," Jasper answered. "But I have friends that travel a lot, too, so I just thought they may be the same ones." 

"Oh," I said. "Anyway, I need to go." 

Alice grinned at me. "It was nice to meet you." 

I smiled shyly at her. "Yeah," With that, I turned and headed for home.

Jasper's POV

As soon as Bella left, I immediately pulled out my phone and dialed the number. "Are you kidding me?" I nearly shouted at him.

"What are you talking about?" he asked. 

"She's staying with you?" Peter didn't respond. Rolling my eyes, I hung up the phone and prayed he wouldn't say a word to her.

Bella's POV

I walked inside the house and looked up. Peter and Charlotte were standing before me. "Hey," I smiled at them.

Peter and Charlotte only looked at me. "Bella, there's something we need to tell you..." 

"Ok..." I said, nervous and confused. "What is it?" 

"Jasper Cullen is your brother," Peter said.

I felt myself freeze. His words circled in my head, and I was unable to think of anything else. "What?" I asked him, shocked. "No, there's no way. Jasper went missing in the army years ago. I haven't heard from or seen him since." 

Charlotte stepped forward. "Bella, when Jasper went missing, it was because he had turned into a vampire. A woman named Maria turned him. That was how Peter and I were turned. Maria changed us." 

I shook my head, not wanting to believe it. "No, it's not true. You're lying." 

"Bella-" Peter started to say, stepping forward. 

"No, leave me alone!" I turned and ran up the stairs to my room, and shut the door behind me. I leaned against it, then slowly sank down until I was lying on the floor. "It's not true..." I whispered. "It can't be..."