Chapter 5

Bella's POV

I leaned back against Jasper, and he squeezed my shoulders. "It took me months of practice. Peter and Charlotte helped a little bit." 

Jasper spoke up. "How did they help?" 

I turned to look at him. "Whenever I got mad at them for something, or just upset, I would give them Dark Looks. They started asking me one day why I kept giving them those looks. I never understood what they meant," I shrugged now. "Peter took a picture of my face when I was giving them a Dark Look one day. When he showed it to me, I was shocked. All this time I guessed I had never realized I was doing it. Charlotte said every time I gave her that look, it scared her. Said she was afraid I'd end up hurting her or something," I shrugged again. "So, they thought it was a good defense to use in case anyone tried to hurt me or something like that. They helped me practice to the point where if I ever got upset, they knew to stay out of sight." 

"You're incredible," Edward spoke just above a whisper. 

I turned and smiled at him. I started to take a step towards him, when Jasper gripped my hand and held me back. Frowning, I looked at him in confusion. 

He only shook his head, glaring at Edward again. "Keep your distance from her, Edward." 

"Why does he need to keep his distance?" I asked Jasper. 

"Don't worry about it," Jasper spoke firmly, but quietly. 

"Jazz-" I started to say, but he cut me off. 

"Why don't you go into town and buy yourself something to keep you entertained?" my brother suggested, pulling a credit card out of his wallet. 

"Jasper-" I tried again, but instantly cut off at his look. "Fine." 

I began to walk away, but stopped when Jasper said, "Bells," I turned to look at him. "Alice is going to go with you." 

My eyes flicked to Alice's face. She was bouncing excitedly, like she was going to have lots of fun with me. "Whatevs," I began walking away again. The minute I heard Alice's footsteps beside me, and saw her perky, happy face, I knew it was going to be a long day.

Normally, I would have found something to keep me entertained by now. But two hours had passed since Jasper told me to come into town and find something to keep me entertained, and Alice kept begging me to let her buy me something. 

I continued to say no, I didn't want anything. When she asked why, the only thing I said was, "Don't want anything." 

After another hour of this, Alice finally gave up. "Let's go home. This is no fun." 

I happily agreed. All I wanted to do was be with Jasper. I wanted him to tell me about how he had gone missing, why he went missing, and how he had been turned into a vampire. I also had one very important question to ask him. This was a serious, life-changing question, one that he needed to answer honestly. Because if he didn't, Dark Looks would be given.