Chapter 4

Edward's POV

I held open the door for Bella, and she smiled while blushing as she passed. Once we were outside, I began walking towards the trees just to our left. Bella followed silently, not saying anything. I moved my eyes to her face, and noticed a blank expression, but there was a look in her eyes that I couldn't decipher. I decided to ask what was up.

"You okay?"

Bella blinked and looked over at me. "Yeah, I'm fine."

It was clear how uncomfortable she was, so I decided now to start getting to know her. "So, how old are you?"

"17," she responded.

"How long have you lived in Forks?"

Bella sighed. "Not long. A few years. I was originally from Texas, but after my brother went MIA, I couldn't stay there anymore."

"So why did you come here?"

Bella shrugged. "I heard that Forks was always pretty rainy and cloudy. At the time, it fit my mood, so this is where I ended up."

I stared at Bella, thoughts spinning around in my mind. "Are you upset with Jasper?"

Bella sighed once more. "A little bit, yes. But he says it was to protect me from the truth and the Volturi. So, in a way, I respect him for what he did, but it still makes me a bit mad that he wouldn't tell me the truth."

We walked in silence for a moment, then stopped in a clearing. I looked at Bella, small and fragile. When she looked up to meet my eyes, I couldn't help but smile. She smiled back slightly, and I felt myself taking a step towards her. Just as my lips were about to touch her own, Jasper's voice rang out loud and clear... and he was furious.

Jasper's POV

"What the heck are you doing?!" I shouted, lunging at him. Edward fell to the ground and tried to throw me off, but in my anger I was unshakable. "Did you try to kiss my sister?"

"No, get off!" Edward snarled at me. He finally managed to throw me off, and I dug my fingers into the ground to stop myself. Edward stood up and crouched down in anger, getting ready to attack again. 

I glared at him, snarling like a rabid dog. "Never touch my sister!"

Bella's POV

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and it caused me to jump. Looking up, I saw Carlisle standing behind me, looking at me with a concerned look. Another snarl came from the two fighting vampires, and I looked back towards my brother and Edward. Edward lunged again for Jasper, and I saw Jasper try to dodge him, but Edward was too quick. Edward caught Jasper in a headlock, and this infuriated me. He was trying to kill my brother.

The next thing I knew, I was standing between Jasper and Edward, glaring fiercely at Edward. I heard Emmett's voice ring out, and I looked at him.

"Bella, what are you doing? You're going to get yourself killed!"

Ignoring his comment, I turned back to Edward. "Enough," My tone was flat, but deadly. "If you ever touch my brother again, I will personally kill you myself."

This caused Edward to straighten up and stare at me in shock. "How in the-" Edward cut off; he was at a loss for words. "How are you doing that?"

"Doing what?" Jasper's voice called out behind me.

Edward had a look of fear on his face, but it didn't phase me. There have been many situations like this before, where I've glared at people and they took on a look of fear. "She's giving me... I don't even know what to call it. It's a weird look and it's freaking me out."

"It's called a 'Dark Look'," I told him. "I use it whenever someone ticks me off."

Edward frowned. "How did I make you mad?"

"You were attacking my brother," I spoke in a flat tone still.

"No, I wasn't."

"Yes, you were," Jasper said.

I looked back at him, and grinned. He walked forward and placed his hands on my shoulders. Then, with another, slightly less scary Dark Look, I stared at Edward. "Jasper agrees with me."

Edward shook his head and smiled at me. "You are so mysterious."

My smile widened. "Is that so?"

"Yes, it is," Edward grinned back at me. "Tell me something, Bella. How in the world are you able to make a vampire feel fear?"