Afraid

Afraid

Tate grabbed Mac's shoulder and turned him around. Like a werewolf transforming under a full moon, a worrisome alternate version of the boy he once knew growled and blinked his reddened eyes slowly, diverting the attention that would normally have focused on the black circles on his skin.

"We have to ta-"

"I have nothing to say," Mac interrupted.

He made an attempt to break away but Tate stopped him, clutching his strong hands onto his worn out shirt instead.

"Well I do."

Tate looked both ways to see if someone was coming, fortunately Cassie was stuck talking with Lauren inside the studio with the rest of the band and with Jon.

"And I won't let you leave until you tell me what is going on," he added, using a quieter voice to tone down the situation.

"There is nothing going on."

Mac ignored Tate's low voice and proceeded to talk normally, even a little bit louder to annoy Tate. Then, he ruffled his hair like a little whimsical kid would do after a scuffle on a playground.

"Oh yes! Nothing...yeah, I'm sure nothing is happening. Okay, I must be out of my mind then," Tate replied sarcastically.

"Everything you do is a lie, Tate. You are so full of it... you are so full of yourself."

"What are you talking about?"

"Nothing Tate...nothing."

"Stop saying that!"

Tate pushed him back trying to make him snap out of the annoying attitude stance he was taking. Mac's back hit the wall, transforming his face into a grimace of pain. Tate looked at his hands and put them into his jeans' pockets, afraid he might hurt his friend even more.

"Stop lying!"

"I have never lied to you."

Tate looked down again, realizing that was he'd just said wasn't true.

Mac crossed his arms on his chest and lowered his head to catch Tate's attention.

"Is that so...Icarus?"

Tate glared at him. He was speechless, how could he know? How did he find out? He took a step back, not knowing if he actually heard Mac right. His heart skipped a beat as fear took control of his body. Mac on the other hand, frowned. Tate's stunned reaction confirmed what Pete had revealed about him.

Tate was still in shock when he tried to reply, but he heard steps coming closer along with laughter after someone told a joke.

"Well," Philip placed an arm around Cassie's shoulders, "It wouldn't have been possible without our dancer!"

"Stop flirting with Tate's girl, dude."

Cassie laughed as Lip turned red before replying, "Can't you see, she's is not my type."

"Stop talking as if I weren't here, guys," Cassie said smiling.

"Oh, sorry, we didn't see you from up here."

"I thought jokes about my height were a thing of the..." Cassie looked at Tate and suddenly knew that something was wrong. His eyes were filled with terror as if he had seen a monster, making her hair stand up on the back of her neck. "...past."

Cassie and Tate locked looks as the world around them kept spinning. For that moment, they were both hypnotized by the other's silence, by the unsaid words pouring out of each other's eyes.