The Getaway

It all started as a normal day for Jarrett. He was doing his job, driving his routes, doing the usual mailman thing. Occasionally he would think about quitting his dead end job, but the pay made him stay. Besides, his job was fairly easy.

He grabs a package from the back and looks at the address. He makes his his way to that house, passing a broken plastic flamingo on the way. What a dump, Jarrett thinks. When he arrives at the house, he walks up to the door and tries the doorbell, but it's broken. He knocks on the door. A few seconds pass and he's just about to go back but a woman opens the door. She's absolutely stunning, even though other would think otherwise.

She looks a little beat up. She has bruises on her face and neck. She appears out of breath, as if she's running from something, or maybe even someone. She has shadows around her eyes, and telling by her thin body Jarrett can tell she needs help.

"Hi," Jarrett says, shyly.

"Hello," the woman says, quietly and groggily.

"I have a package here for you. You need to sign here," he says, pointing at a line. She signs and takes the package. As she holds it, Jarrett sees track marks on her arms. She needs his help. She tries to shut the door but he puts his foot in the doorway.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but as a U.S. official I have the right to investigate your house if I have suspicion that illegal activity is happening," he says, stepping into the house.

"Hey Babe! Are ya almost done?!" a drunken voice says. Jarrett knows exactly what's happening. After all, he went through the same thing 10 years ago. He walks to the living room to find a drunk man. The man sees him and stands, bottle in hand.

"Who're yu?" he slurs.

"I'm the mailman, you?" Jarrett responds.

"I'm the bitch's hubby, Will. I'm gunna kick yer ass!" Will attacks him trying to smash the bottle on Jarrett's head, but he dodges it and punches Will in the stomach. Will doubles over and Jarrett sends a knee flying into his face, which knocks him out cold. Jarrett looks back at the woman, who's face is filled with shock.

"I'm sorry," Jarrett says.

"It's okay! I just wish I could do that!"

"What's your name?"

"Rebecca."

"Jarrett."

"Nice to meet you."

"We need to leave. Now."

"Why? I'm fine."

"No, you're not. Your husband is abusing you. I have a van outside. Either you come with me, or I get the police involved."

Afraid she would get caught for heroin, Rebecca joins Jarrett. He finishes his route and heads home. They arrive at his apartment door and he fumbles with his keys while Rebecca takes a good look around. Jarrett finally opens the door and they step inside. The place isn't bad. It's got 3 rooms: a bedroom, a kitchen, and a living room. Inside the bedroom is a bathroom.

"Nice place. Seems cozy," says Rebecca.

"Thanks. I'll sleep on the couch and you'll sleep on my bed. Tomorrow we'll go get you some clothes."

"Wait," says Rebecca, confused. "You expect me to stay here?"

"Well, do you really want to go back to Will?"

She thinks about Will for a second and shudders. She can't go back to that. Not now. Not ever. Besides, Jarrett is kind of cute and seems trustworthy.

"Fine. But I'm not sleeping in your bed, I don't deserve it," she says.

"I'm not letting someone like you sleep on the dirty couch."

"Someone like me?"

"Yeah... someone like you deserves better in every way," he says, blushing. He doesn't want to show her that he likes her. He quickly glances at her, taking note of her beauty. She looks back, and they both turn away, embarrassed at how fast they start liking one another.

"So, um, what's for dinner? I'm starving." she says, flopping onto the couch. She didn't bring anything except a bag.

"First, what's in the bag? You have to tell me because we needs to trust each other."

"I'll tell you after we eat something and get to know each other."

"Fine. How does mac and cheese sound?"

"Perfect."