Chapter Ten

I fell asleep quickly, but just before five I was woken up by the boys talking. I decide to pretend that I'm still asleep, so I can listen to their conversation.

"...It's great that y/n is here now," Thomas says.

"Yeah," Newt responds. "She's really... great."

Thomas sighs, "You really like her, don't you?"

Newt doesn't say anything. It's silent for awhile, I'm beginning to worry Newt will say that he doesn't like me. Just as soon as I begin worrying, he breaks the long silence, "depends on how you're gonna react, but yeah, I really do. She's so beautiful, and when she smiles it lights up the whole room and you can't help but smile too. She's so nice and sweet. And I know I've only known her for a day, but there's just something about her that makes me feel like I've known her forever."

There's another long pause in the conversation.

"Thomas?"

No response.

"Please, Tommy. Please. Just say something."

Thomas waits a few seconds then answers, "Newt, you know you're my best friend, but if you hurt her this won't be a 'never do it again and we're cool' sort of thing. If you break her heart I'll be the one picking up the pieces. Just keep that in mind, otherwise...it's your move."

Thomas sounds reluctant, but I'm glad he's starting to trust me.

Newt sighs and gives a small laugh. "Thanks Tommy. But you don't have to worry, I would never hurt her."

"You were gonna do something eventually no matter what I said, weren't you?"

"If you had said no I would've had to."

"Just be careful, Newt."

"I promise."