Chapter Three The Hospital

Since I had gotten my credentials for human anatomy back at Hogwarts I decided that I might as well go to work at the hospital here in Forks.

I borrowed Bella's truck from her, since Edward drives her around everywhere anyway, until I had enough power stored up to conjure my own.

I pulled up in front of the hospital and made sure I had all of my appropriate documents put together. As I was walking in a strange feeling settled over me. It felt like something was changing, warning me of what's to come.

I hurried up to the administrators office and after he saw my credentials he was quick to hire me as a surgeon. He got me put on schedule right away and I started work. I was assigned a co-op with a Dr. Cullen.

This has to be Carlisle Cullen. The only coven member I haven't met besides Esme, Bella explained to me she had found her mate leaving Carlisle alone, I was more than excited to meet the head of a vampire coven as I scrubbed in.

I walked calmly into the operating room and everyone's attention turned to me.

"I'm Dr. Swan." I introduced myself.

"Dr. Cullen." a tall blond haired man waved absentmindedly as he examined a chest cavity graph. We were performing a tumor biopsy today.

"I say we take a left approach at the fourth rib and go straight up from there. Simple enough." I walked up next to him. We were both already covered in scrubs and mask so I couldn't properly see his face except his charming golden eyes.

"Very clean, very thorough. Its nice to meet you, I'm Carlisle Cullen." He introduced himself properly "I feel ashamed to say I did not catch your name" he ducked his head in embarrassment.

"Charlotte Swan." I nodded at him and his eyes shot back up to mine.

"You're Bella's sister?" He asked.

"And you're Edwards father?" I mocked him and we both laughed.

"Well, it's very nice to finally meet you, I wish I could've been there yesterday but..."

"Hey, don't be bothered by it. I'm not. I understand, when work calls for us we have to go." I laughed and I thought I could see him smiling under his mask.

"Let's get to work shall we?" He motioned to the patient being rolled in.

***************

Carlisle POV

"Well, that went very smoothly if I do say so myself." Dr.Swan removed her mask and shook out her long hair as we walked down the corridor.

If I thought she was gorgeous before then she's a goddess to me now.

Her long auburn hued hair cascaded down her dainty shoulders perfectly framing her heart shaped face. She was tall, just a few inches shorter than me at the least, and very lean. You could tell by the way she walked she carried hidden muscle. She was curved expertly in all of the right places. Those brilliant green eyes I had noticed first thing now shown with excitement as she continued talking about the surgery. The only thing I was concentrating on was her magnificent body so when she suddenly stopped I was left confused.

"Did you even hear any of that just now?" She laughed and I noticed her English accent was very subtle but clearly there.

"Um, no sorry, I got distracted. What was it you asked?" I tried to wipe the embarrassment off of my face.

"I asked you what my sister usually does after school." she responded.

"Oh well, Bella usually comes over to our house or goes to work one." I answered and I got a crazy but brilliant idea "Would you like to come over? I believe she isn't working so you could spend time with her there. I would love a chance to get to discuss some more complicated surgical technics some time." I offered her.

"Well, I think I should get home after my shift. My father hasn't seen me in so long and I've barely spoken to him since I've gotten home..." She adopted a guilty look on her face.

"If you think that's best." I smiled at her and my heart nearly started beating when she smiled back. Her whole being lit up when she smiled like that.

That's what led me, Carlisle Cullen, who prides himself on his composer, to detach the cables in Bella's truck.

On my way home I noticed Bella's truck parked near mine in the parking lot and I smelt Charlotte around it. I just couldn't let her go. Something inside me pulled at me and I couldn't bear to see her go home where something bad could happen. So I quickly recalled my little knowledge of cars and detached her cables from her engine.

I walked slowly to my car as Charlotte came out of the hospital and jumped into the truck. As I settled into my vanquish I could hear the click of her engine and her sigh of fustration and smiled to myself.

I pulled out of my parking spot, with my front window down and turned to where I would pass right by her.

"Carlisle!" She called and I stopped and put on an innocent face.

"Charlotte? Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's just that...can I still take you up on your previous offer? I think Bella's truck may have bit the dust." she laughed that gorgeous laugh.

"Yes, of course. Feel free to come whenever you wish. Would you prefer I take you home though?" I asked as she came around and got into the passenger seat.

"Umm...no. I think I would much rather prefer going to your house." she smiled at me and I internally leapt for joy.

We got to the house very shortly, I discovered she likes to sing under her breath in the car, and Bella was already there.

For the first time I found myself not glad she was there. I wanted Charlotte to myself.

"Bella! I told you that thing was a death trap!" Charlotte playfully scolded Bella as she wrapped her arms around her and kissed her head.

"What happened?" Bella cringed.

"Oh, I don't know anything about cars. It just protested and I got a ride from Carlisle." she pulled Bella close to her. "You didn't tell me he was so cute!" She whispered in Bella's ear, Bella laughed while I smiled like a fool.

"Something funny dad?" Edward asked suddenly.

"Hmm? No, not really. Just remembered something pleasant." I responded and he gave me a knowing look.

Follow me to my office son.

"If you will all excuse me for the time being." I turned and walked up the stairs to my office while Edward excused himself.

"Carlisle, what's going on with you? Your thoughts are crazy." Edward asked.

"I-I don't know, it's Charlotte. She just drives me crazy and I only just met her earlier. I can't explain it she's just..."

"Your mate it looks like." he smiled and I stopped dead in my tracks from pacing.

My mate? I always thought Esme was but between my compassion and her ability to love passionately we were both just in love, not mates. Could this be the true thing though?

"The way you looked at her, I watched the others look like that for decades. Trust me, I could tell from a mile away." Edward laughed.

"I must admit though it will be weird to think that my step mother could also be my future sister-in-law." he laughed as he walked out of my office.