12 || The Cave

May 1937.

Southern Coast of England.

Tom

The engine of the old bus rumble as it made its way very slowly to the coastal road, London left behind far off in the distance. The orphans talked with excitement about everything they were going to do on their first outing to the beach, enjoying the spring air blowing through the windows of the vehicle as the smell of the sea became more and more prominent. The only child who seemed thoroughly unamused by the prospect of the beach was Tom Riddle, who sat at the back of the bus sulking. The last time the boy had been to the beach was many years ago, before the depression, when he was so little Gisela had to carry him into the shallows as she feared otherwise he would be washed away into the sea. This visit, however, he did not have the company of his dear friend and was reminded once again of the haunting loneliness of life without her.

At least the trip would be somewhat useful in other ways.

As the bus finally came to a halt, the children clambered out of the bus, escorted by their overworked nursemaids who were trying not to lose sight any of them. If any of the little ones accidentally got swept out and drowned they would lose their jobs. Tom exited last, keeping his eyes firmly set on his targets. The group set off down the narrow path through the sand dunes that led to the sandy beach, their loud voices echoing into the hills behind them. Tom followed behind, watching the older children disperse in a run with their caretaker's permission, making him lose sight of his two targets, who raced off down the path.

As the beach came into view, Tom couldn't help but marvel at nature's creation. It was a magical place. The cliffs on each end of the beach towered high, and the shoreline stretched for what seemed like miles in the low tide, the giant waves dumping with a thunder-like crash onto the beach. He watched his targets play in the whitewash, where a long time ago he jumped through the waves with Gisela, although the sea that day was much calmer than in the present. Tom smirked at how ironic it would be if the two children were swept out and drowned without any intervention on his part, but that wouldn't be as the fun as what he was about to do.

He slowly made his way down to the shoreline, being careful not to wade in any further than his bare ankles, intentionally close to both his chosen location and his targets. The wind blew his hair out of his face, and he felt light sea spray sprinkle his cheeks, his eyes looking out on the horizon intentionally. Now all he had to do was wait.

It didn't take much to provoke them, as within a minute he heard the snarky voice of Amy Benson behind him, Dennis Bishop stood silently by her side.

"Hey, freak! I hope you drown and leave us all in peace here," shouted Amy over the loud crashing of the waves.

"Even if I got swept out I wouldn't drown, Benson, because unlike you I have a purpose for living," he replied, his voice laced with torment.

"Prove it, Riddle. Show us all how you won't drown," she shouted back.

"I would, but then you would go running to the matron about it, and I would be blamed. Perhaps a different challenge, Benson?" he turned around, his hair blowing into his eyes as he faced away from the wind.

"You're scared, Riddle," she huffed.

"Oh really... I have a different challenge. You see that cave in the cliff over there? I'll climb all the way into the cave... but only if you come in with me," he smirked.

"Why? Are you too scared to go in alone?" questioned Dennis, who for the first time in months decided to speak up.

"I didn't know you had a voice, Bishop? Be careful; it might be gone as quickly as it came. Well, if we all go in, then none of us are cowards," he responded, "so, are you coming?"