Publishing! Basic questions and answers

Took Maria's questions from the comments and posting them with answers here!

1. How can I make my story stand out to a publisher?

People who work in publishing are readers too, which means they're different people with different tastes. I don't think you should worry too much about this! A story that connects to a reader will be appreciated by publishers also. If you want Pinoy teens to love your book, and you write a story that Pinoy teens love, then publishers who want to reach out to Pinoy teens will appreciate your story too.

2. What is the best way to know if a publisher is trustworthy?

It's hard to even think about this since a lot of us could only dream of being published (so diba, kahit sinong mag-offer, parang gusto nating tanggapin agad). But we have to realize that even though we did this for love, publishing is a business, and we have to work with people who respect our work and treat us fairly. Siguro magtanong muna sa mga author ng publisher na iyon, kamustahin lang sila. Happy ba sila sa kontrata nila? Sa pagkakagawa ng libro? Nakakatanggap ba sila ng royalties on time? May royalties ba? Paano nalalaman ng readers na nasa bookstore ang libro? Nasa bookstore nga ba ang libro? 

May mga pinangako ba at natupad naman ba? Madali ba silang kausap, kung sakaling hindi maganda ang resulta at gusto mong baguhin ang napagkasunduan? Paano sila mag-react kung nag-decide ang dating author na mag-selfpub na lang o lumipat ng publisher? 

Gusto ko rin linawin na ang mga tanong na ito ay sana wag itrato na "bashing" or chismis. Since publishing is a business, tama lang na mag-research ka tungkol sa kumpanya na pagkakatiwalaan mo with your career as an author and with your story. At kung makarinig ka naman ng experience na hindi maganda, try to see the other side also, because maybe it was only a misunderstanding. 

3. What factors go into deciding how much I should ask for in a contract?

Based on what I know of Philippine publishers, it's not common to "ask for" a certain amount. They usually decide beforehand if you are getting a talent fee, or an advance, or a set percentage of royalties, and it's usually presented as a "take it or leave it" offer. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask, especially if you already know what other authors have gotten and if you deserve just as much or more. Kaya lang, be ready with your response, if they don't want to negotiate. I tell people that they shouldn't sign a contract if they don't like the terms. It can be that simple.

If you're dealing with an international publisher, you may be able to negotiate, but you might want to get a literary agent to do it for you because they have more experience doing this.

4. The publisher I'm talking to seems to be unwilling to negotiate some terms that I'm not sure are fair to me. What should I do?

If you don't like the contract, and when you try to negotiate, the company doesn't want to do that...then you probably will be faced with a decision to say no. I know it seems hard to do but if the book means a lot to you, you should be careful with who you trust with it. I hope that if you're negotiating, you're doing it in a professional and calm way. :)

5. What are some of your key learnings, now that you have gone through the publishing journey?

I should keep copyright! Iba ang right to publish sa copyright. Iba ang "written by" sa copyright. Ang copyright pwedeng manatili sa author kahit binayaran na siya to publish the book. I also learned that many authors agree to not-so-good terms in the beginning because they think they don't deserve better. They're not confident in their work. I think that's what Wattpad should give you -- the proof that your story has an audience. Publishers need you, especially if you've done well on Wattpad. Please realize that you deserve better. :)

6. I've written a great story that my readers love and really respond to. What is the best way to present it to a publisher?

Sometimes a publisher will find out about a good story through a reader or another author they trust. That's great because your story has word of mouth! Kaya lang, hindi mo control kung paano na-recommend yung story sa publisher. The way other people talk about your story may not be the best way to get a pub's attention. You can also submit your story to a publisher yourself. Write a cover letter/query letter, and write it well. Good grammar! Check your spelling! Explain in that letter in a few short paragraphs what your story is about, how well it is doing with readers, and why you think a publisher should choose it. Then...good luck!

7. What are some important things I should think about when selecting a publisher to work with?

First of all I think you should like their books, as a reader. Approach publishers whose books you enjoy, not just the stories but also how the books are made, and how much they are sold for. 

8. A publisher also wants to represent me and try to option my book into a movie. Is this a good idea?

If this is your dream, then go ahead! Just make sure you are part of the contract process, that you get a fair deal because the story and concept came from you.

9. It's been a dream of mine to be published and now I've been given a contract that doesn't seem very ideal for me but I'm nervous to negotiate with them because I'm afraid they won't end up publishing me. What should I do?

Don't sign contracts you don't like! Please don't. :) Don't settle for someone who isn't treating you fairly! There are other publishers who will be happy to work with you and negotiate...I assure you that you will feel better being published by them (later) than signing a bad contract (now).