How long before they publish and what if they don't

I got these questions in my email, but can't see them on the browser! So posting my answers here:

Hi Ms. Mina, is there such thing as an initial optioning period (Similar to movie script) when it comes to publishing? How long? Do you think it is fair for us to negotiate for a reversion of rights if the story was not published on the date stated on the initial optioning period? 

There's no standard time but I think it's fair for you to suggest it when you start talking to a publisher. So if, for example, everything is ready, and the book has not been published in 6 months, you should be free to consider other options. Sometimes there are fair business reasons for a book to take too long to print, and the reasons should be explained to you in a way that you understand.

I think it's also fair to ask for your rights back when the publisher is no longer using it, or asking for the rights that the publisher never used. It might start a discussion about using it, which is OK, as long as you're happy with the decision in the end. 

How long is the usual contract period? What happens after the contract period ends and the publisher decided not to renew the contract?  

There doesn't seem to be a "usual contract period" yet. Mine are five-year contracts. I've seen three-year, 2-year, and also contracts with no end dates. (!) Many contracts are set to auto-renew because it's easier that way. If you are still working as an author when your contract ends, you should consider your relationship with the publisher, and if you can do better working with someone else (or self-publishing). Many authors have chosen to get their rights and control of their work back, if they feel they can do better. But many authors also renew. If a publisher decides not to renew you, it's not the end of the world.