Chapter 3

Verna never would have imagined that coffee at the Canterbury would turn into lunch which sealed them the next date and that turned into a series of dates. They had so many common interests that it seemed natural for them to spend so much time together. After one such date, Verna invited him in for a nightcap.

By this time Verna felt comfortable enough with Travis to be alone with him in her home. It was much easier because there was only one degree of separation from someone she knew personally and genuinely liked. On this occasion, she was even ready to allow him to play with her hair at his request. She was a bit surprised by the suggestion, but she went to fetch a brush anyway and sat on the carpet at his feet.

He was so gentle and easy with her hair that she felt herself relaxing. "Mm. You're good at this. Do you do this often?"

He chuckled. "Hardly." Pause. "I used to do it for my mom."

She didn't answer and after a while Travis thought she had fallen asleep. Then she asked, "Do you miss her?"

"Who, Mom? A little. It was a long time ago and I haven't forgotten her but Ted remembers more than me."

"Of course," she said softly.

His hands stilled in her hair and he put the brush down. Before he could do anything else, the coffee maker sounded.

Verna giggled as she rose to get their coffee.

She didn't hear him follow her and so she jumped when he kissed her cheek.

"Jeez! I didn't hear you come after me."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I wasn't sneaking up on you." Pause. He murmured close to her ear, "Call it a tangent but it kind of makes me wonder if you've got a long list of men behind you, Verna León."

She let her breath out in a shaky sigh and shook her head. "It's not a very long one."

All she could feel was his body against her back. There was a whole lot of heat radiating from him at the moment.

"Say that again," he said huskily. "Say anything... I love the sound of your voice." He put his hands on her arms and turned her around.

She licked her lips and said, "It's not a very long one."

Because his desire was already playing tricks on him, Travis heard, 'it's not a very long tongue' and he had to see for himself. He leaned forward and kissed her.

His conclusion was that it was just long enough to make him want to spend the night. The very textures of her mouth were enough to know he'd think of nothing else if he left her alone tonight. Breaking off the tender kiss, Travis looked into Verna's eyes and saw a measure of his own desire reflected there.

For a first kiss between them, Verna thought it was just about perfect. Travis was gentle and sensual and incredibly persuasive. She knew exactly what he wanted and what he promised from just that contact of their lips.

"Say something else you think I might like."

Looking up into his eyes, Verna's response was clear before she even opened her mouth. There was only a slight pause. "You don't have to go home tonight. Stay with me."

"Perfect," he breathed. He promptly went about making her forget the coffee.

The following morning, she found everything just how they had left it. Verna made a fresh pot and took two mugs to her room. Once again, she forgot the caffeine for more than a moment.

Travis was sitting on her bed in a towel, exuding male sex appeal- hair still damp from the shower. He smiled and took a mug. "Thanks." Pause. "Verna, please come sit here. I have something to say."

"Okay."

"Okay," he echoed. Another pause. "You know those days when we're both not busy and I can't be with you? Like, those days when I say I am going to see a young friend?"

"Yes," she responded. Wondering where all this was going, she looked at him squarely.

He squirmed. "Well, I sort of prevaricated." Her eyes narrowed. "Not much!" he assured her. "He is my friend. This particular kid is my friend." Duh, he thought to himself, get on with it.

"Okay, so what's the issue?" she prompted.

"Well, this kid... he happens to be my son."

Her heart stopped momentarily. "Whoa."

There was a silence before she said, "You told me you weren't married before-?"

He had heard that one before and he hated it. "You don't have to be married to have a kid Verna!" he practically shouted.

"I know that. Jeez, I was just making sure."

"I'm sorry." He ran his hands through his hair, leaving it spiky. "It's just that this conversation almost never goes well."

"So am I. I didn't mean to upset you. It's just that I wanted to be sure and honestly... I don't know what to say. Er- how old is he, what's his name? Where's his mom?"

Travis's face lit up as he spoke about three-year old Zane who did very peculiar things with French fries, but it darkened again when he spoke of Zane's mother, Wendy.

"I was twenty-five, drunk and willing enough to believe she was telling the truth about her birth control pills and HIV status."

Verna blanched a deathly white. He placed a hand on hers. "Relax. I'm thankful to God that we both tested negative then and I still am. But obviously, the other part was a lie."

She put her arms around him and he spoke into her hair. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you before last night."

"It's okay. I'm just glad you told me."

"Can you try and promise me one thing?"

"What's that?"

"Don't ditch me just because I have a kid."

"Oh, Travis I wouldn't do that!" She kissed him."How could I give up a rarity of a man who happens to kiss and tell?"