Chapter 10

The next step in breaking her shy nature presented itself at Zane's day care centre. Standing in the foyer, waiting for the kids to thunder out of the gym for the weekend, Verna loosened Travis' tie for him slightly and he smiled. She was so pretty and he felt like telling her so. The scent of her light perfume was as potent as any drug and his senses felt heightened. He wanted to take her home all of a sudden, but since Zane was going to be with them, he would have to settle for a lot less than passionate lovemaking in the parking lot.

"Verna."

She looked up at him.

"Kiss me."

Naturally, she looked around first. A few mothers were chatting with one another, paying no attention to the other parents standing closer to their cars or to her and Travis. So she complied.

He put his hands on her waist, bringing her closer to him. Her hands rested against his solid chest and she surrendered to the sweetest kiss she had had all week.

Short-lived though, as the gymnasium door burst open a moment later. They broke apart and Travis opened the circle of his arms to include one of the first bundles of energy out of the door. Travis picked him up and kissed him and then Zane reached his small arms out to Verna, who took him from his father to receive a very excited kiss on the cheek.

"Hi, Zane!"

"Hi."

"Did you have a nice time at day care today?"

"Yeah! We played Cookie Jaw."

"Ooh, and what else did you do?" she asked him as Travis was waving goodbye to Zane's teachers.

Travis unlocked the car, Verna put the boy in his car seat and then closed the door. Travis kissed her again before going round to the driver's side.

Before the following week was through, the dreaded body shop scenario occurred.

Verna got off work early and decided to surprise Travis with a visit. She went to his office and knocked on his door, hoping he wasn't too busy. Then unexpectedly, she felt his arms encircle her waist from behind. Too happy to bother looking at the work floor below, Verna turned around and threw her arms around his neck.

"I take it, you're happy to see me," he murmured.

She showed him how happy, by kissing him. They kissed for a long time until they realized that the whistles that filled the air were directed at them. Reluctantly Travis let go and led her into his office.

He stared at her. Her cheeks were slightly flushed but none the worse for embarrassment over what just happened. "Where's my bashful babe?"

She started. "I know right? I can't believe I just did that! The last bit was mortifying," she admitted, her hands flying to her cheeks. "But I suppose what they say about not looking down helps."

He laughed. "You're so cute. Come here."

He picked her up and placed her on the desk. He thought for a moment about what he wanted to do being a little risqué but only one person was allowed to just walk into his office without knocking, but he wasn't-

The door burst open.

Speak of the devil... Travis thought with amusement.

"Travis- oh."

Jumper looked carefully at the scene he'd just walked in on. Instead of being apologetic, he merely grinned and said slowly, "Hi. You must be... Verna."

Instinctively Verna had crossed her legs when the door opened. Now she regretted it because she had a lesser chance of getting off the desk with her grace and dignity intact. The guy who had just entered the office was staring enough as it was.