Chapter 9

Stacey and Bubba dropped by unexpectedly in the afternoon and Verna got a chance to speak with her older sister in the kitchen after lunch.

"Are you sure you are ready for a man with kids?"

Verna laughed. "He has a child, not a bandwagon!"

"Rodney had a kid and that didn't work at all."

Verna looked up at the ceiling and then smiled at her sister. "I didn't love Rodney."

Stacey squealed and hugged her sister. "I'm so happy."

"It's not like we're getting married, Stace."

She continued grinning. "I know but you never know," she practically sang. Verna rolled her eyes.

That night in bed, Travis brought up PDA again with a different approach.

"Now that you're sure you love me," he began, "I'd like us to overcome your bashfulness."

She thought about it for a moment. "Okay."

"What?"

"I said 'okay'."

"Do you mean that, babes? Oh man, that's great!"

Verna smiled.

"So can I kiss you?" he asked the following day, in the car.

She nodded. "Properly."

"Thank God."

She had to steel her mind against thinking about the group of ladies outside the car and what they might be thinking. It was easier than she thought it would be and she left the car smiling. It must have been his hands caressing her thigh out of sight. His hands had a way of dulling her faculties.

He came up to her office once again. This time he didn't lock the door before he kissed her. When the kiss ended he stepped back.

"You know when you can't have something, you really want it. And once you get it, you thoroughly enjoy having it."

Verna nodded. Travis smiled and drew her close once more. "Miss Cacchya it would appear that you are that something I want more of."

She smiled too and stood on tip toe to kiss him again.

They were interrupted by a swift knock on the door before the door swung open. Verna pulled away and whirled around, but Travis kept a hand at her waist.

It was only Magdalena.

"Oh. Ciao, Verna."

"Ciao, Magdalena."

"Sorry to interrupt but they've brushed the covers so I thought I would bring them in when I heard that Mr. Burns was here, but I see he's not here anymore."

Travis grinned. Verna felt him pinch her as she said, "Oh, Mag, this is Mr. Travis Burns. Theodore's younger brother."

"Oh?"

She rushed forward and Verna almost though she was going to fall at his feet. Instead she grabbed his free hand, pumping it energetically.

"Your brother is brilliant, Mr. Burns. Absolutely a super writer, really."

"I'll pass on your kind remarks," he got out somewhat normally.

She clasped his hand to her chest in pleasure. "Would you really do that, Mr. Burns? Oh, that would be generous!"

Verna cleared her throat as she eyed the hand trapped in Magdalena's upon her ample bosom. Now his other hand squeezed her waist.

"Yes, I will tell him," Travis said now. He too stared pointedly at his hand.

Magdalena blushed, perhaps imagining that he was eyeing her goods- until she realized his hand was captive against her décolletage.

"I'm sorry," she said, practically throwing his hand away so that it could once more find Verna's arm. Magdalena didn't miss their half embrace and asked bluntly, "Are you two an item?"

"Yes," Travis answered.

Verna received a curious look. "I see." How was it that she got to be familiar with Theodore and she gets his delicious-looking brother? She looked at Travis again, with a wistful smile. "Say hello to the other Mr. Burns for me please. I have to go."

"Okay, we will," Travis assured her.

They watched her leave the office.

"She didn't leave the covers," he chuckled. She placed her hands on top of his and he said, "That wasn't so bad was it?"

She shook of her head. It felt comfortable .

"I like that," he told her. "It makes me happy." Pause. "Now to take the step and do something at the door of my office."

Verna laughed nervously. His office door overlooked four work stations where over forty people- mostly men- worked.

"I'm just kidding, Verna. One step at a time, right?"