Chapter 4

I was watching Something New which is one of my favorite movies.I was right at the part where she met Brian for a blind date when I heard the door open and turned to see my exhausted mother after a hard day’s work. I ran to her and helped her sit on the couch. She was so tired she almost didn’t make it.

“Hey sweetheart.” She smiled and made her voice a bit livelier for me. She cared so much.

“Hey ma. How was work?” she yawned and stretched like a cat after a nap.

“It was tiring as always you know that. Running around in a factory can do that to you.” She tried to smile but yawned instead. Even though my dad left us a fair amount of money, my mom still felt the need to work such a hard job because it paid well. The only reason she still worked there was for my college tuition. I felt bad knowing I’m the reason she’s always so exhausted. I hope I can get and academic scholarship to help.

“I guess you’re too tired to cook?” I asked thinking about Roy who was still probably upstairs sound asleep.

Her face turned hard and sternly said, “I am never too tired to cook for you and Roy.” She smiled knowingly at me. My eyes shot up.

“How did you know he was here?” I asked incredulously.

“You always seem happier when he’s here. And I can hear him snoring.” She shrugged and walked to the kitchen. How did my mom know me so well? I heard the clanging of pots and knew she was about to work her magic.

Guess I could wake Roy. He’s been asleep for 3 hours now. I slowly walked up the stairs and opened my door to see a shirtless Roy with his hair pointing in all different directions. I smiled at how innocent he looked when he slept. I got on all fours and slowly crawled to the bed. He was smiling in his sleep. Guess he was dreaming about something good. I slowly got in the bed and stared at his face knowing that he usually woke up if he felt he was being watched. He only stirred a bit, but his eyes never opened. I snuggled up closer to him, and he put his arm around me and squished me to his chest. What was he dreaming about?

“Angel I need you.” At first I thought he was awake but found out he was still unconscious. He brought me so close that I was in his face and our noses touched. He slowly pouted his mouth and kissed me on the lips. I pulled away from him and fell off the bed screaming. That woke him up. He was up and looking over the side of the bed.

“What are you doing down there?” his voice was husky since he just woke up, and he had a hint of amusement in his voice. I couldn’t speak. All I did was stare at him.

“Ok don’t answer me then.” He got out of the bed and went to put his shirt back on. I was still on the floor thinking about that ‘dream’ kiss. He must not have known what he did. It would be better to keep it that way. He slowly walked over to me and stuck out his hand.

“Come on I smell food and you’re in front of the door.” He smirked at me. I didn’t take his hand but got up on my own. He looked at me suspiciously but let it go.

We walked down the stairs to see my mom cooking.

“Hey Ms. Myers what ya cooking?” Roy walked over and looked over my mom’s shoulder and took a big sniff of the pot.

“Homemade chicken noodle soup since it’s so cold outside.” My mom smiled at him and he went to sit down at the table. I was still standing in the door leaning on the frame.

“Hey why are you standing over there?” Roy asked me concerned. His eyebrows crinkled and he stared at me probably expecting an answer. 

“Just wanted to stand here is all.” I shrugged trying to show that there was nothing wrong. He shrugged his shoulders and continued talking to my mom. Every now and then ,he would look my way to see if I was ok. Anybody could see the concern in his eyes. What was I doing? This guy is my best friend and I’m avoiding him just because of a kiss that he gave me in his SLEEP! I walked over to him and took the seat across from him. He looked up at me and nodded his head to the living room. I stood up and went to the living room to sit on the couch.

Three minutes later Roy came in and sat next to me.

“Angel what did I do?” he asked exasperated.

 I looked down at the leather couch and said, “Nothing that you’ll remember.” I whispered.

“What?” he looked at me confused.

“You did something in your sleep that caught me off guard is all. Don’t worry about it.” I looked at him and tried to smile.

"What did it involve?" he asked scratching his head. The poor guy really didn't know what I was talking about.

"It involved a fair amount of the mouth area." I said trying to find a way to phrase this. He was lost for a moment until his eyes grew wide and he stared at me. I didn’t think he would know!

“Did I um kiss?” He couldn’t even finish the sentence.

“I mean its ok. You were asleep and you didn’t even know you did it.” I looked at the TV trying to find something else to talk about.

“I’m sorry I was just having a good dream is all.” He smiled at me and stared.

“Yeah it was probably about Karen since you pouted your lips.” I laughed a bit remembering his face. He looked confused and then his eyes showed a little recognition.

“Yeah I was thinking about Karen. Right.” He said nonchalantly rubbing his chin and looking over his shoulder.

“Now it’s my turn, are you ok Roy?” I scooted over closer to him and he looked at me and smiled.

“Yeah I’m ok. So, how about those Bulls?” He asked enthusiastically. I knew this was a subject changer. We always did that when we didn't want to talk about something. All I could do was smile. He grinned back and put his arm around my shoulder. We turned to the movie Ponyo and began to watch the funny kids without another word.