Chapter Eight - Disappointment

"Composite functions are where we use one function to evaluate another. We use the phrase F of G, or vice versa G of F," my College Algebra professor droned on

I started zoning her out. For one, I already remembered this from high school, but mainly it was because I couldn't stop thinking about Callum.

He is everything that I could ever dream of physically. I have to admit he is very attractive. But, I just can't get over being forced into this and not having any say in this. What if we don't mesh together personality wise, though?

Questions just kept rolling in my head... What if he has some creepy habit and that's why he doesn't have a girlfriend? Is he cleanly person? Is he someone who thinks that he should be held on some high pedestal? Does he even like me? Does he find me attractive?

Wait. He said he picked me. He must like me. Why, though? I'm just an ordinary average person with long wavy brown hair with brown eyes. It's not like I'm a beautiful blonde with blue eyes girl who is super skinny.

Honestly, I think it's time for this lunch he's wanted me to do with him. After that, I'll make my decision about whether to continue this or not.

"Olivia. Earth to Olivia," Savannah said while snapping in my face.

"Hey, stop. I've been paying attention," I whispered.

"Oh really, then what is she teaching about now?"

I glanced up at the board where I saw a whole bunch of functions.

"Um, composite functions," I hesitantly replied.

"Wrong. Inverse functions. If you want to pass you need to be paying attention in class Olivia," Savannah said, trying to make me feel guilty.

"Nothing I can't learn from the textbook," I sarcastically replied.

"Whatever pleases you, but after class your telling me what you dazed off thinking about because you looked like you were in some deep thought," she informed me.

"If you insist," I retorted while turning my attention back to my professor.

*~*

"Alright class, this ends todays lecture. Make sure to check your homework on Canvas and submit it before 11:59 PM tomorrow night," my professor shouted as everyone already started packing up and standing.

"Okay so now is a good time to tell me what you were thinking of off in dream world," Savannah said with a chuckle.

"Wait, patience is a virtue," I replied back as I tried to exit the classroom quickly.

"Where are you off to in such a hurry," Savannah asked.

"To find someone," I responded as I turned the corner and lost her in the crowd.

As soon as I got outside I started looking everywhere. Why isn't he here?

He usually stands right there, under that tree...

"Who stands under that tree?" Savannah asked as she appeared out of the crowd.

Shoot I didn't say that to myself.

"Wait is that the boy you've been running into? What was his name, Callum?" Savannah questioned.

"Yeah, yeah it is," I replied a little disappointedly as we started to walk away.

I actually wanted to talk to him today and he wasn't here. Why wouldn't he have shown up? It's just not like him.

I spend my whole class debating on whether or not I should go out to lunch with him to hear him out. After weighing the pros and cons I finally decided that it wouldn't hurt just to hear his side. I mean all I have to do is sit there and let him talk while I get a free lunch.