Owen Grady

I wake up at ten in the morning. Today is Sunday which means it is my day off. I stretch my arms out and smile. I love Sunday's. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but I hate the people who I have to deal with and having a lie-in is the best thing ever. I turn my head and look out the window. All my senses are alive. The sun is shining, the birds are tweeting and what is that amazing smell? I sit up. Screw a lie-in, I quickly throw on my blue top, leather jacket and pants. I walk into the kitchen. That's weird, no one is here. But on the table is a stack of pancakes, with chocolate sauce and banana. My favourite. Eagerly, I sit down and tuck into my breakfast. I quickly finish, but I crave more. I put my plate in the sink. A whole day of fishing.

I go into the shed and grab my best fishing gear before I walk over to the lake; where Lottie, Anthony and Ian are sat. I sneak up behind Lottie and cover her eyes.
"Guess who?"
"Henry Wu?" She laughs; craning her neck and looking at me.
I roll my eyes and glance over at Anthony. "Anthony, how about we do some fishing?"
"Sure." He shrugs.
Ian climbs onto the seat next to Lottie and reads a dinosaur book. I could get used to this. We set up the lines and wait patiently. Anthony plays on his phone and I talk to Lottie; noticing how fragile she looks and has dark bags under her eyes.
"So, how are you?" I ask.
"Fine." She takes a sip of coffee.
"Good sleep?"
She hesitates. "Yeh."
We hear the phone ring.
"I'll get it." Lottie sighs as she walks to get the phone.
Anthony and I sit in silence waiting for a bite. Lottie soon returns but she's even paler.
"Anthony, look after Ian. Stay inside and lock the doors and windows, close all the blinds and watch TV. But don't have it too loud." Lottie mutters hurrying them inside.
"What's wrong?"
I have a strange feeling in my gut and I don't think it's those pancakes.
"Claire wants us over at the hybrid enclosure. Says it's urgent."
I curse and start-up my motorbike. Lottie gets into the car and she follows me to the enclosure.

The first thing I notice when we arrive at the enclosure is there are no more builders on the wall. I have a really bad feeling about this. Claire runs out, red in the face.
"The Indominus Rex..." She takes a deep breath. "We need you to look inside the paddock."
"Why?"
Lottie looks even paler in the light.
"When we tried to pick her up on the heat sensors, we couldn't find her."
"You think she climbed out?" Lottie looks at me.
"We don't know. While you are in there, I am going to the control room, I can track her from there." Claire jumps into her car and speeds off; causing a cloud of dust to rise.
With no further questions, we meet a security guard.
"I'm Owen Grady, and this is Lottie Hecox." I say shaking his hand.
He walks us into the paddock. We stay on the main path as we walk through to the other side of the enclosure. Even more claw marks stain the wall.
"Is that part of the glass design?" Lottie asks, pointing to a break in the window.
"No, she tried to break the glass. You really think she could have climbed out?''
"It depends." I look up at the claw marks.
"On what?" The security guard looks at me.
"On what kind of dinosaur they cooked up in that lab."
Suddenly, we hear a panicked voice through the speakers.
"She's still in there! Get out now!"
We turn to run but blocking our path is a giant grey dinosaur, which looks similar to a T-Rex only more vicious. The most disturbing thing about it is her blood-red eyes. We turn around and run as fast as we can. The ground shudders every time it takes a step. The security guard reaches the gate first and opens it. Lottie and I run out as soon as the gate is half a meter from closing. We don't stop running and when we hear a crash and the dust showering us, I'm glad we didn't. I slide under a car and pull Lottie in after me. Slashing through the coolant pipe I cover us in coolant, hopefully, it won't sense us. I look to the side and I see the security guard leaning against the front of a car. He looks me in the eyes as fear floods his face. The birds are silent, all I can hear is Lottie's heavy breathing and the growl of the Indominus Rex. Lottie closes her eyes and I watch the Indominus Rex flip the car and its large jaws cover the man. I close my eyes and my hand finds Lottie's clammy one. She makes a small whine, but I shush her. Bone-shaking footsteps come closer and I open my eyes. They meet the bloody mouth of the monster, immediately I re-close them. She sniffs the air, roars and moves on. Only when I don't feel the vibrations of the footsteps do I reopen my eyes and I peer over at Lottie. She's still got her eyes closed. My hand goes numb and Lottie's knuckles are white.
"Lottie, release your hand." I whisper.
She opens her eyes and releases her hand.
"Owen ... we need to get ... to the control ... room." She stutters.
With no further questions, we jump on my motorbike and race to the control room.

We walk in and everyone is silently staring at us. Claire gets up and walks over to us.
"She hid from thermal cameras, how?" I ask.
"When we made her, we added frog DNA to fill in some of the gaps and frogs can change their temperature. We added it in for the extra wow factor." Dearing smiles.
"That thing made those claw marks on the wall to make us think she escaped. She's intelligent." My voice gets louder.
"For a dinosaur." Claire mumbles.
"Because you raised her inside of four grey walls and the only relationship she has is with that crane. All this is new to her. She wants to find out where she sits on the food chain, and I don't think you want her to find that out." I shout as I walk to the front of the room.
"It's heading south, but as soon as it gets near the fence it will be shocked." Mike chokes out.
"What? You are going to let it get to the fence. You have heavy machinery let's smoke this thing up." I say.
"We have twenty-eight million dollars in this thing, we are not just going to kill it. The nearest attraction is four miles. If it gets too close, we will do something." Claire snaps.
"It's moving pretty fast." Mike stammers.
Claire sighs, irritability. "Okay, I'm going to send a team of men in there to tranquillise it."
She speaks on the phone.
"Wait, you're going after it with non-lethals?" Anger rises in my voice.
"It's stopped." Mike says standing up.
We stare at the map; the tracker has stopped moving. Lottie just stands with silent tears falling down her face. Eventually, we see men in armoured suits running to where Indominus Rex is. On the screen, we can see what the men are seeing. A guy called Andy halts everyone and cautiously moves forward. In front of him is a grey, scaled piece of flesh. He picks it up and turns it over; showing that on the other side is a tracker. Claire gasps.
I move to the front of the room.
"She clawed out her tracking device." I say staring at the screen.
"How would she know to do that?" Claire hoarsely asks.
"She remembered where they put it in." I cough clearing my throat. "You need to call off this mission, these men are going to die."
"Owen, you are not in charge here."
"Call it off or I will."
"Owen, you're not in charge, you don't call the shots. If you aren't going to offer any useful advice you have no reason to be here." Claire repeats, her voice getting louder.
"It will kill everything that moves!" I shout at her.
On Andy's screen drops of blood land on his wrist. He looks up but nothing obvious seems to show where it came from. Suddenly, the trees start creaking and a green replica of the Indominus Rex comes out.
"It can camouflage!" Andy screams.
I roll my eyes throwing a questionable glance at Claire.
She sighs. "We also added in Cuttlefish DNA, they can change colour to blend in with their surroundings."
The Indominus Rex turns white and everything becomes chaotic. Screams from the men fill the room and I turn around to look at Lottie but she's sat down with her head in her hands. Turning my attention back to the screen I notice that half the men are dead.
"Oh god!" Dearing gasps.
"Evacuate the Island." I shout.
''No, we would never re-open." She growls. "I'm going to close everything at the top of the park and herd everyone into the middle. We can keep them safer there." She says, pressing some buttons on a pad.
"That thing that you cooked up in that lab is not going to stop until everything it can sink its teeth into is dead." I say, storming out of the room.
I jump on my bike and drive to the main park. Someone needs to get this place under control.