Lottie Hecox

I watch Owen walk out of the room and shortly after I hear the rumble of his motorbike. I wipe my eyes and stare at the eight dead bodies on the screen. Tiny whimpers scatter around the room and Claire sighs.
"Everyone remain calm." She says turning slowly, her eyes land on Mike. "Mike, go find Henry. Come back here with him. I have a plan that could work."
Mike runs out of the room and I stare at the floor.
"Can someone turn that screen off?" Claire shouts.
"Claire, I'm going to go home. If you need me I'll be there. I need to be with my boys." I stare at the floor.
I walk out of the room and go to the spot where Owen parked the motorbike, but I find it empty. Sighing, I jog along a shortcut to our house.

After a five-minute jog, I reach the house and I find all the curtains closed. I expect to find the front door locked but when I push my key into the lock it creaks open.
"Ian? Anthony?" I ask into the darkness.
No lights are on and it's eerily quiet. I turn on the living room light and I run to the boy's bedroom. Finding it empty I start to get worried. I try to call Owen but it goes straight to voicemail, so I leave a message.
"Grady, the boys are gone. Meet me at the control room."
I sit on the couch. If I was a kid where would I go? To find my parents, but they wouldn't go to Mike first. I told them I was going to be at the Hybrid enclosure but they won't know where that is. I stand up and run to the car. Where should I go first? The control room and see if I can find Owen or the hybrid enclosure? I don't really want to go back there, so control room it is.

I reach the control room in a matter of minutes; everything is still silent. Claire and Henry are in the corner talking. As I walk over to them I look at the C.C.T.V. I happen to look at a camera that is showing a mother reuniting with her daughter.
"Dearing!" I cut her off, throwing my keys on Mike's desk; making him jump.
"Yes?"
"Have you seen Owen?"
"No, I think he went to the main area. Probably got caught up in the evacuation process. Have a look at the cameras. He's most likely arguing with someone." She turns back to Henry and they carry on their conversation.
I sigh and walk over to Mike.
"Hey." I whisper.
He doesn't lookup.
"Have you seen the kids?" I ask him.
"I thought they were at yours for safekeeping?" He snaps at me.
"Listen, if you want me to forgive you for last night then snapping at me isn't going to work."
"I have seen them. They came here to find you and I sent them off into the park, I think they went to that hamster ball thing. Claire closed the upper park so they must be ..." He types something on the computer. "They're still out there." He looks up at me worried.
"Keep an eye out on the cameras, for me. I need to find Owen. He will help me find them."
He sighs and goes back to typing.
"Actually, can you flick through most of the cameras for the main area, please?"
He flicks through each one and that's when I spot him. Like Claire said he's arguing with someone.
"Stop. He's there." I point to camera twelve. "Where is that?"
"The Innovation Centre." He pinches the top of his nose.
"Thanks."

I grab my keys and run for my car. The Innovation Centre is a fifteen-minute drive and I'm on edge. Anywhere, around here could be that Indominus Rex. No, Claire said that if she got to the fence she would be shocked. I take deep breaths as I park in a small area, behind the T-Rex's enclosure. Staff are frantically running around trying to keep everyone calm. If I had one word to describe what I was seeing now, it would be chaos. I make my way to the Innovation Centre. It's filled with people. How am I ever going to find him in here? High ground. I run up the steps, pushing past people and apologising. Then I see him, still arguing with someone.
"Owen!" I shout.
He looks around and carries on talking.
"Grady! Up here!" I shout even louder, causing lots of worried people to scowl at me
He sees me and I run down to meet him. He looks annoyed.
"Why didn't you answer your phone?" I ask him hands on hips.
He ignores my question and pulls me out of the Centre. We walk in silence until we reach a car. He climbs in and starts talking.
"I lost it. What's wrong?"
"The boys are out in the gyrospheres." I climb into the passenger seat.
"I thought Claire closed that area?"
"She did, but they are still out there. We need to get them."
Owen starts the engine and steps on the accelerator. We drive at sixty all the way to the ride where Ian and Anthony were last seen.

Owen drives through the field and slowly comes to a stop. I look up from leaning on the window.
"What's wrong?" I ask.
Without answering, he gets out of the car and walks towards a Diplodocus that's lay, barely breathing, on the grass. I get out of the car and walk to the front of this helpless dinosaur. Owen kneels by her head and strokes her; whispering soothing words. I look down the body and notice multiple, bloody, scratches down her body. I reach out my hand and I too stroke her head. The Diplodocus moans softly, before taking her last breath and closing her eyes. I step back with tears in my eyes. Owen stands up and walks to the edge of the hill. I stand next to him and we look into the valley filled with dead Diplodocus.
"She didn't eat them. She's killing for sport."
"Oh, God!" I gasp, pointing to an open gate.
Owen runs over to it and kneels on the ground.
"They came through here. Look." He points to fresh tracks on the ground. "But so did the Indominus Rex."
We jog back to the car and Owen drives us through the gate. About five minutes after we come to a smashed-up gyrosphere. We get out of the car. Owen walks around inspecting the damage. He grabs his knife and pulls out a large tooth; twirling it around in his hand before putting it in his pocket. I look down on the ground and I spot Anthony's smashed phone. I pick it up with shaky hands.
"Owen, they didn't make it out alive."
He walks over and bends down next to me.
"Yes, they did look." He points to a set of footprints in the mud.
Owen stands up, repositioning his gun, and follows the tracks. I shove Anthony's phone in my pocket and run after him. Only when he stops do I manage to catch up with him. I look down into the pool of water about ten meters below us.
"Do you think they could have jumped?" I ask him.
"Well, their tracks stop here, and I think if I was being chased by a genetically modified dinosaur, I would risk jumping."
"But Ian's only twelve."
Owen looks down the scope of his gun.
"Well, they made it out. A little bit wetter, but they definitely made it out."
"That track leads to the original buildings."
"We can find a way around. It will be longer, but I don't fancy jumping in there."
He takes one last look down and we follow a path that leads off in a different direction.

Trekking through the forest is hard work, especially in this heat. It takes us twenty minutes to get round to the original buildings and even then it's still hard work to find where the boys went. We walk around the outside of the buildings. Owen eventually finds a door and we push through. He walks through a couple of other doors and calls me.
"Hey, they came through here. Look, one of the cars are missing. How did they manage to get one of these baby's started?" He asks, placing his gun by the side of the car.
"They are smart boys. My genes are in them." I grin.
Suddenly, we feel the vibrations of a large animal coming this way. Owen pulls me next to him and we sit at the front of the car. He puts his finger to his lips and pokes his head around the side of the car. Immediately, pulling it back in when the jaws of the Indominus Rex come through the opening. The air fills with a disgusting smell of rotten meat and I hold my breath. Tears fall out of my eyes as I squeeze them shut. She sniffs the air and reverses from the garage. Owen looks around the car again and quickly scurries forward to grab his gun. I breathe out.
"That was a ..." I start.
Dust fills the room as the Indominus Rex breaks through the ceiling. I stand up and run out the door. I turn back and see Owen running one way and then sliding back to me over the bonnet of the car as the Indominus Rex pushes it into the wall. We sprint out of the building and into the trees. I stop confused but Owen keeps on running. He catches my hand and I pull him back.
"She's not following us." I run around the building and notice why. "Owen! She's following the helicopter."
He stands next to me and grabs my hand pulling me forward. I grab my radio from my belt and I call Mike.
"Who's driving the helicopter?" I ask, bending over to catch my breath.
"Dunno. Have you found the boys?"
"No."
"Wait, are you chasing the dinosaur?"
"Yes."
The signal breaks and I slide the radio back onto my belt. Owen stops at the edge of a cliff and we watch the Indominus Rex crash into the aviary. The helicopter soon follows and crashes with an explosion into the aviary. I look at Owen and I push my hand into his holding it tight. I have just about caught my breath when Owen looks up at the sky and curses.
"Shit."
"What?" I ask him confused.
"Run!" He pulls my arm yanking me into the tree line. "Duck!"
He pushes me down and lands on top of me; causing me to become winded. He protects me as Dimorphodon's and Pteranodon's swarm over us making their way to the main area of the park. He rolls off me and we stay there, panting as we try to comprehend what just happened.