40//Bad Blood

Chapter 40

(Eve's POV)

Work Song - Hozier (aka on of the most beautiful songs ever written by anyone ever)

"I can't believe he offered only two thousand dollars!" Parker shakes his head as we walk outside the settlement conference, briefcases in hands. "Sarah would've took the offer if you weren't there to talk her out of it. I swear."

I nod, trying my hardest to stay interested but I really can't. The only thing on my mind since yesterday is the fight Zayn and I had over the phone. As much as I try to focus on something else, I just really can't. I didn't know why I felt horrible after Zayn found out I slept with Parker, he really deserved it. There was no way I hurt him nearly as much as he hurt me. But yet, Zayn was right, the guilt was eating me alive.

"Eve?" Parker says as we walk into his office. "You alright?"

I perk up at the mention of my name, smiling at him. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Just a little . . . tired is all."

He smirks, taking his coat off and setting it on his chair. "I bet. We didn't get much sleep last night."

I look down, laughing nervously. "Yeah. Uh . . . Do we have any more conferences today? Because if we don't-"

"You can go home and rest, Eve," Parker smiles, walking over to me. I look up at him as he leans down and kisses me slowly, not really taking my hint. After last night, he figured that a two night stand meant he could kiss me in public, but it really didn't.

He pulls away from me, then nods, finally realizing when I don't kiss him back. "Alright then. I'll see you tomorrow for dinner."

I furrow my eyebrows, "dinner?"

He walks over to his desk. "Did you forget? We have dinner tomorrow with the opposing council."

I nod, suddenly remembering. "Oh, yeah. Of course. Just text me the address. I'll be there."

"Okay," he says, sitting down on his seat. "I'll see you then, Eve."

I nod again, clutch my suitcase, then turn around and walk out of his office. My stomach twists, and for the first time, I feel like I've made a grave mistake. I can't forget about Zayn no matter what I do, and I'm afraid this feeling will never go away. I miss him, so much. I miss how things used to be between us. A couple of months ago, I would never have though that I can feel so small because of a man, but I do. I lost him, for good. And I just don't want that.

But I know, even if everything is the same, I won't be able to forgive him. I can't forget that not only did he cheat on me, but he also hurt me. Every time I pull up my sleeve, I'm reminded of the fact that he forced himself on me when he was drunk. And a small part of me forgives him because he was drunk, but a bigger part of me knows that even if he was drunk, he hurt me. What if he gets drunk again? I don't want to get hurt at the hands of him again.

Just as I unlock my car, my phone buzzes in my pocket. However, it's not the first time. In the last hour, Louis has called me more than ten times, and I've responded exactly none. I don't care for what he has to say. In fact, if there's is anyone I hate most in this scenario, it's him. If he didn't come over that night, everything would've been perfect.

I take a seat in my car and start it, shutting the door behind me. That's when my phone rings again, and out of annoyance, I take it out of my pocket and pick it up.

"Listen, I'm busy. I can't talk-"

"Do you have any idea how many times I've been trying to reach you!" Louis' voice shouts from the other line.