Chapter 4: The Package That Knew

It's been at least six months since Loui's birth. He's sitting by himself. Toby picked up quite...a habbit. There's a knock at the door.

Bonnie's p.o.v.

I look up from the computer and stand up. I walk to the door, picking up Loui on the way. I open the door and look outside, there lays a package on the doormat.

You'll thank me later
-Anonymous

I blink and drag in the box with my right foot. I sit Loui on the couch and grab the box placing it in front of him. I sit on the floor and puncture the tape with a sharp nail. Tearing through the tape and opening the flaps. Loui stares at the packing peanuts, grabbing some.

"Don't eat them" I say.

He keeps his gaze on the peanuts, is he ignoring me? He continues to play with them, intrigued. I dig through the box, one, two, three, four, old VHSs labeled "Signing Time", three CDs labeled "Baby Signing Time". I examine the things before grabbing Loui and scooting to the tv. Inserting "Baby Singing Time".

I sit back on the couch with Loui wrapped snuggly in my arms. It starts up. Singing a very, annoying yet amusing tune.

Baby, baby, baby singing time.

I look down at Loui he didn't seen interested. I sit through the video. It was pretty educational, there was children older than Loui signing in some parts.

Toby's p.o.v.

It's been almost a year since we got that package, Loui's lived off of it. He doesn't speak, doesn't make a sound. He just...signs...

At night Bonnie would sing some of the songs from the CDs to him. Loui turned one a few months ago. We forgot it was Mason's birthday as well, but he didn't seem to care.

I watch as Loui waddles around the house, we taught him to put in the VHS tapes on his own. He plays with the buttons and turns on the TV. He bursts with excitement seeing his favourite tape already in. Alex and Leah go to school, Rachel teaches the kids about colours. Loui loves signing along with the songs. Yet, that's all he does.

Later, I'm going to get his ears checked, he can't live his entire life signing.