This Summer Could Kill Us

“I just want you to know that I’m an option,” Callan bit his lip. “Did you ever think that maybe that’s why I’ve always hated him.”

            “Callan-,”

            “No,” he yelled, running his hand through his blonde hair. “He hurt you, and yet you still run to him. I would never hurt you.”

            I couldn’t take it any longer, I let go. Tears streamed down my face, couldn’t he see that he was hurting me now. By saying all of these things he should have said before. I stared at him, his dirty blonde hair was messy and he had dark circles around his eyes. When we arrived at the lake he was happy and excited to resolve everything. Back then he looked strong, not only that but he was reliable. He was one of the people I knew I could trust; now I wasn’t sure.

______________________________________________________________________________

            Maybe I should start at the beginning, when everything was a thousand times less complicated. A time when no one was admitting there unconditional love for each other. When friendship was a word all of us respected and cherished.

            “You need to stop stressing!” Sam laughed, “This summer is going to be amazing!”

            I stared back at her, and found myself laughing too. Who was I kidding? This summer was going to be the summer of my life. I was going to Lake Powell with all of my closest friends. Finally we were all going to get away and resolve all of the drama in our lives. A lot of things have happened this year, and all of us could agree that we needed to be brought back together. I have been waiting forever for this and finally today is the last day of school, tomorrow we will be leaving.

            “Hell yeah,” I exclaimed making Sam laugh even harder.

            “So who is going so far?” Sam asked, throwing her long blonde hair over her shoulder.

            “Us, Leah, Kassy, Grayson, Will, Callan, Calla, Savannah, Bryce, Laney, Rider, and Dylan.” 

            “And Damen?”  

            Honestly, I knew that none of us really wanted him to come, but he was Will’s friend. “Umm, I don’t know he sounded iffy. I’m sure he will though considering Calla’s going.”  

            Sam nodded and continued walking down the endless and crowded school halls. She seemed distant; I could always tell when she was out of it. I guess that’s what best friends do though, right?

            I guess I wasn’t the only one that caught her acting this way, because all of a sudden Dylan came up behind her and grabbed her by the waist.

            “How’s my favorite Sam?” he exclaimed, making Sam immediately flush. Dylan has messy, slightly curly brown hair, and his eyes are honey brown. I understand why Sam liked him; he was one of the most attractive boys at our school. His build was small and muscular and although he and Sam weren’t a couple, sometimes they acted like they were.

            “I’m your only Sam,” Sam scoffed.

            Dylan raised his eyebrow.

            “I- I- I mean,” Sam stutter, “I’m the only Sam you know, not that you own me, or that I belong to you in any way what so ever.”

            Suddenly I felt a grin slowly spread out on my face, and I raised my eyebrows, “Well… Dylan, do you know if Damen’s coming.”

            Dylan’s attention switched to me, and I looked back at Sam.

            “Thank you,” her lips mouthed.

            “Umm, he said he was,” Dylan muttered biting his bottom lip, “unless he has changed his mind again.”

            I nodded my head, and unexpectedly I felt someone tap on my shoulder. I whipped around and saw Callan. At first my stomach erupted with butterflies, but I recovered fast and jumped into his arms; ignoring any rude glares of passing students. Callan was the heart throb at our school, and he held many girls’ hearts. It was almost impossible not to love him; he was just as hateable as a darling puppy.   

            “Hey Shay,” Callan smirked, “sign my year book?”

            I still couldn’t believe that today was the last day, “Of course!” I winked.

            I haven’t known Callan for even half as long as I’ve known everyone else, and yet I still considered him as my best guy friend. He has dirty blonde hair and mocha brown eyes. He isn’t as built or as short as Dylan. Callan is actually one of the tallest guys in our grade, and the structure of his face is just perfect. He has stunning cheekbones and the most boyish smile.

            I finished up signing my name and returned his yearbook back to him.

            “Is everyone ready to party?!” Callan joked.