Chapter 2

“Leah!” Sam yelped. “Look at the lake!”

            I cracked my eyes open and blinked rapidly trying to wake up. Damn, I had the worst migraine.  I turned my head and glanced out the window. The lake did look terrific; I just wasn’t in the mood to be cheerful.  I tried to smile at her, but failed miserably. I probably looked like I was dying.

            Will spun around in his seat and looked at me, “Wow, LeLe you look like you were hit by a bus.”

            I felt a goofy grin spread out across my face, he had called me LeLe. I wasn’t even fazed by his rude comment; instead I felt my heart beat faster. He hasn’t called me that since we broke up. It felt good to hear it, which was extremely weird. I hated that nickname.

            Dylan started to speed the closer we got to the house boat. The mischievous grin on his face reminded me of a little kid that had just pulled a prank. Sam couldn’t take her eyes off him. I was happy that she liked Dylan but at the same time I didn’t like it. Dylan, as much as I loved him, was one of the biggest players I knew.

            “And,” Dylan said in an annoying announcer voice, “We are pulling up!” he drove into the parking lot, and every one jumped out of their seats. I flung myself out of the car; I hated long car rides! The feeling you get when you step out of a car after sitting there for what seems like forever is the worst.

            “Sam,” Byron called as he handed her her duffle bag Sam took it happily and started walking to the boat with Dylan. Once I got my bag I started walking down the aisle too. Turns out we got there second. Everyone else was already calling dibs on rooms. When I walked in through the door Callan sat on the couch.

“Leah,” Callan exclaimed as he gave me a bear hug, “Where have you been?!” When I opened my mouth to reply he jammed his finger into my stomach and started tickling me.

            “Stop!” I screeched trying to catch my breath.

            “Say the magic words,” Callan smirked as he picked me up and through me over his shoulder. I loved the way he made me feel so weightless.

            “Callan is the best,” I mumbled and he tickled me harder, “and I love him with all my heart.”

            He raised his eyebrows and Laney came up behind him and smacked his head. “Give the girl a breather would you?”

            Callan stuck his tongue out at her childishly and pulled me off his shoulder. “Come on Lane, Leah likes it when I tickle her.” Laney rolled her eyes in response, and Callan glared at her, “Dontcha Leah?”

            I grinned but ignored him, and started following Laney down the hall. Half way down the hall Laney grabbed my hand and dragged me to the basement to our room. She swung the door open and when I walked in I smiled; the room looked exactly the way it looked when we left years ago. I dropped my bag by the dresser and laughed. My Justin Timberlake poster still hung above my bed. I forgot about how obsessed I was about him. Laney lunged herself onto her mattress and cackled like a hyena.

            Once she calmed down she sighed, “Why don’t you just date him?” I bit my lip. Honestly Callan was gorgeous, funny, sweet, dorky, and basically just my type, but for some reason I just could never get over Will.

            “I don’t know,” I shook my head.

            Laney sat up and rested her head on her palms, “You know he likes Savannah now right?”

            I felt my expression drop, “Thanks for reminding me.” Laney shrugged and leaned forward, grabbed her brush out of her bag and started grooming her stunning short brown hair.

            Will likes Savannah. Just thinking about it made me extremely jealous, but why should I be jealous? Will isn’t mine; I’m starting to wonder if he ever really was.

            “Knock knock,” Calla chimed as she leaned into out room. “We just untied the ropes. Will wants to know what beach to go to.”

            Laney and I looked at each other and then simultaneously we both said, “Lizard Island!” Cal nodded and then closed the door.

            Lizard Island is a beach we found that was practically crawling with lizards, which, at the time was everyone’s favorite thing to do; hunt lizards.

            I lied back in my bed and waited for Laney to start up a conversation again.

            “If you like Will so much stop playing with Callan’s feelings,” Laney stated as she crossed her arms.

            I felt my mouth drop open, “I’m not playing with anyone’s feelings!” Damn, sometimes Laney just didn’t know jack shit. She rolled her eyes and I was half tempted to smack her. I understood that she and Callan grew up together and that she cared about him a lot, but honestly she shouldn’t go and get all nosey.

            “Whatever you say,” Laney said smugly.

             I had to bite my tongue to keep from attack her. Knowing that she was watching my expression I rolled my eyes and huffed. She smiled and I couldn’t take it any longer. I jumped off my bed, searched through my suit case, and found a swim suit. She watched me from her bed and I could imagine her arrogant face as I then darted out the door. While I was walking down the hall I noticed that nobody was here, but Will who was sitting in the living room watching T.V.

             “Where is everyone?”

            Will watched his sports intently and when the show went to commercial he turned to me and said, “They went down to the docks.”

            I nodded and walked into the bathroom to change. As I was trying to tie the top half of my bikini I kept fumbling and eventually I got too frustrated and walked back out to the living room holding onto the fabric.

            When Will looked back up at me his cheeks went bright pink, and I had to hold back a grin, “Would you tie my swimsuit for me?”

            He stood up and went behind me; I handed him over the strings and he tied it. He went so slowly and my skin burned at his touch. Goodness I never realized how much I actually missed him.  When he finally had it done he bit his lip and stood in front of me. It felt extremely awkward, but at the same time it felt… right? His electric blue eyes stared down at the ground but then slowly they began to trail back up to my lips. I swallowed the lump in my throat and felt my body shake with a cold chill.

            Will smiled and gradually reached his hand up and rested it up against my upper arm. I felt my skin prickle where his index finger gently traced circles around my shoulder. This is one of the things I loved most about him; we never needed to talk much. Everything that happened between us usually just happened. I waited for him to do something, anything.

            “Leah-” Callan called as he walked into the boat. I felt Will hesitate for second, but then he rapidly drew his hand back to his side.

            I jerked away from him, and faked a grin at Callan as he walked through the door, “What?”

            Callan looked between both of us, “Umm, I was just wondering if you wanted to check out the beach?”

            I could tell he was suspicious of the two of us so I quickly nodded my head and hooked onto his arm. Callan took me outside and helped me jump off the boat. He kept walking forward and when he wasn’t looking I glanced back and saw Will watching us. He ran his hand through his thick black hair and then walked back inside. I felt my expression drop; why did he have to be so damn confusing?