Chapter 6

Will and I both ran to our friends that were huddled all the way across the beach. They were crowded together in front of a site that I wasn’t sure if I was ready to see. All of their expressions scared the shit out of me as I pushed and shoved through them. When I broke through the crowd; I felt my stomach drop. Kassy’s description didn’t even fully define how horrid Bryce really looked. The only thing left of him was the top half of his body. Intestines trailed behind him as he tried to army crawl towards all of us. His head looked like it had been burnt and yellow liquid oozed out of all of his injuries. I felt something inside my chest break, and for a second I wondered if it was my heart. His eyes were like a dark abyss that went on forever. My mouth gaped open, and I let out a high pitched scream that made the whole group tense.

“Bryce,” I cried as tears began to cascade down my cheeks. This wasn’t right; there was no way that a human could go this to him. My body began to shake from the sobs that escaped out of me. I couldn’t take my eyes off the monster that I use to call my friend. There was no way that Bryce was the same person he had been hours before. Cold chills shivered down my spine when he dragged himself closer.

“What the hell are we going to do?” Damen raged, his hands clenched in a fist. He bit his lip, and I noted the tears that still fell silently down his face. I glanced away from him, and looked at the others; all of them were crying nonstop.

“Shoot him,” Will demanded, “Take him out of his misery.” I felt my shoulders drop as I cried harder. Everyone looked at Will and glared, but still no one argued. I watched Byron run back to the boat, and I turned away from Bryce’s body when Byron returned with a small hand gun.

Callan wrapped his long arms around me, and I covered my head in his chest. The gun thundered, and I shrieked against Callan. My tears wouldn’t stop, and Callan seemed to understand this. He pulled me closer until I didn’t think there was any room left between us. We all stayed like that; staring at his lifeless body. How could life be this cruel?

“We need to get back inside,” Sam interposed, as rain began to fall. I looked up at the rain clouds, and shuttered; it never rained in Lake Powel. The group straggled into the boat like a family that had just gotten home from a funeral, and in a way, that is exactly what had happened.

“Was there anyone in Price that had been mad at Bryce before we left?” Calla questioned, as she wiped away the tears that were left on her face. The whole group shook their heads. No one could have been arguing with Bryce; he just wasn’t that type of person. He was loving and sweet, kind of like a big lovey teddy bear.

“He’s injury’s weren’t something that a human could pull off,” I murmured, as I sat down on the couch that was up against the wall. Damen looked at me like I was some kind of idiot.

“Okay,” he ragged, “So you’re suggesting that a unicorn came, and ate him?” I slivered my eyes at him, how could he act like such an ass in this kind of situation?

Callan came to my side, and sat down next to me, “Kassy was right, he didn’t look the same.”

Will looked him the same way Damen looked at me and huffed, “No shit Sherlock, I don’t think anyone would look the same if they were missing half their body.” Callan shot him a death stare, and I couldn’t take it any longer. We were all thinking the same thing. I just don’t think any of us could believe it was really happening. I, for one, couldn’t believe it.

“Zombie Apocalypse,” Kassy said, her voice strained.

________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry it’s so short! I just felt like updating :) please comment and vote!