Chapter 1, Kriss

Maxon did not seem himself since America left for her father's funeral. He would escape, most likely into his room, and avoid the outside world.

That included me.

He didn't visit me anymore, though I must admit in the past few weeks he rarely visited me. I wanted to race up to the third floor, shove past the guards, and kiss him again. Remind him who we were. Our last kiss was over three weeks ago, and everyday I'd dream about that feeling, that touch, that smell. I'd dream about him. He was the only thing I cared about. If I could have him, my world would be complete.

Did he feel the same way about me?

Of course he did. America lost his hold on him months ago. He cared about me deeply, loved me even.

Maybe if I kept telling my self that, it would happen.

I sighed quietly, looking around the Women's Room. Celeste seemed blank. She was staring at the TV, though you could tell she had spaced out. She probably didn't register one word that came out of the TV.

Elise was absently twirling her hair, straightening out her dress once in a while. She sighed occasionally. The queen looked at us once in a while, but she was focused on some papers in front of her.

Without America, Celeste was quiet, Elise was absent, and Maxon...was not himself. I felt the same, though the warm sense of sisterhood we had on Christmas thinned out. Did she keep us together? Did she keep Maxon together?

I tried to dismiss those thoughts from my head. I grabbed a piece of paper and a pen, which mindlessly hovered over the paper. I hadn't written a story in weeks, and though writing wasn't my passion, I kind of felt lost without it.

Once upon a time...

Hmm. That was a start.

There was a girl named Kit. She fell in love in with a prince named Max. They both loved each other dearly, and they had many kids. Despite their obstacles, they were meant to be. They lived happily ever after. The end.

I had to laugh at myself. This wasn't even close to my best writing, but it soothed the dull fear in my heart.

I realized if Celeste or Elise or Queen Amberly looked up to see what I was doing, they could easily see my childish paragraph. The names weren't very well disguised. I quickly folded it, and headed out of the Women's room to hide it in my room. As I hit the stairwell, I heard a voice.

"Kriss?"

Oh, crap. It was Maxon.

Before I turned around, I discreetly slipped the paper in my bra. Seriously, couldn't they put pockets on this stupid dress?!

"Umm, hi Maxon. Do you need anything?" Damn it, I shouldn't have said that. It sounded so professional, like we were allies, not lovers. It made it seem like I wanted him gone.

"Actually, I need you..." My heart stopped at those words.

"...to come with me to the Women's Room. I have an announcement."

Oh. Right.

"Okay."

He offered me his arm, and I tried to gauge his expression. Maybe he was nervous and off, but somewhere in his pulse I could feel that he still cared for me. Perhaps it was just my heart playing tricks, but I was sure he still wanted me.

As we approached the Women's Room, his pace and his pulse quickened, and sweat appeared on his brow. Wow. He was nervous.

He knocked on the door, the sound only a little less firm than usual.

"Can I come in, Mom?" He asked, his voice only a little less steady than usual.

Queen Amberly's gentle voice floated out. "Of course, dear."

I could almost hear the skirts being straightened, the backs sitting taller as we came in. Elise and Celeste stood up and curstied. Maxon let go of my arm, but we were still pretty close to each other.

In the corner of my eye, I saw King Clarkson come in. He knew whatever announcement Maxon was going to make.

"Ladies, as always, it's a pleasure. Please sit."

They obeyed.

"I'm sure you three are puzzled as to why I'm here, so let me clarify. Before that, I would like to let you all know that the eliminated girls are coming back tomorrow afternoon!"

I gasped. I'd see dear Tiny again, Tuesday, Emmica, and even Anna!

"And of course, you are all wondering why. All of the Selected, even some as reserved as Tiny, have changed me in one way or another. But...one girl more than the others."

He decided. He decided?!

"I'm prepared; I've made my choice. For long I've been afraid of coming to final three, afraid of not making the right choice. But now it's crystal clear. Therefore, I'm eliminating you, Lady Celeste..."

Celeste gave a knowing smile. I was so proud of her. She'd come a long way since the start of the Selection. But a doubt creeped into my mind. Would he eliminate me? Or America? It seemed cruel to eliminate her without her being there.

"And you, Lady Elise."

Elise took it in stride, like Celeste, but there was no mistaking the shame in her eyes, afraid of what her family would think of her. Her slanted eyes drooped, creating an interesting curve. But she didn't love Maxon like I did. She should've known this was coming.

"Lady Kriss and Lady America are the last two standing. I will announce my choice the day after tomorrow , in front of many people and many cameras. All the Selected will be there, and you'll have a small reception when they arrive tomorrow afternoon. They'll also be staying for the engagement announcement, so Lady Elise and Lady Celeste, you don't need to leave the palace. Lady America, might I add, is coming back this evening."

He paused, like he might say something else, but concluded his little announcement.

"Enjoy your day, ladies."

He looked at me as he reached the door. My eyes were full of so many questions, and I knew he could see them.

He left them unanswered.

Okay guys, on my other story, The Heiress, I said I wouldn't publish this until I finished three chapters, but I have patience issues. Lol. K bii!