Chapter 4, Kriss

Okay ppl, I know i said this part would be Maxons POV, but i decided not to. I'll do it when i feel less lazy, cuz i hate looking through the books and copying down the exact thing he says. Sooo yeah. Sorry, but I think you'll like this chapter! Xoxo Viola

The wedding was stunning. There were golden streamers weaved across the white walled room, creating a look similar to our dresses on the day of the Conviction. A six layered white cake rested in the middle, with America and Maxon's figurines on top of it. And there were so many people, it was hard not to get lost in the pool of them. I would frantically search for Tiny or Sosie when people streamed in between us.

I watched Maxon, who was at the altar, and had to stop myself from tearing up. He looked so handsome, medals and all, and happy. He would be marrying the love of his life today. Who wouldn't be?

The music started playing, and America's brother, sister, and mom walked in, reached around where Maxon was, and stood smiling. Then Marlee walked in, her warmth and happiness bouncing of the walls and finding its way into me.

I sat up straighter and smiled as America came in.

She was beautiful. Her dress was better than all of the dresses I wore combined, with a long train and a high collar. She looked regal, bridal, and more than beautiful.

I felt a pang of envy, and my smile faltered a little as she walked past me. What struck me odd that the "father" walking (or hobbling, rather) her down the aisle was Officer Leger, the man she got so close to. I shot Maxon a confused look, wondering how he would ever allow this, but his eyes weren't on me. They lit up as soon as he saw America.

He was grinning from ear to ear and when she finally reached him, he took her hand tenderly. He said something I couldn't make out to her, and she rolled her eyes and retorted back.

The music slowed and got quieter as the priest started speaking.

"We are gathered here today to join his Majesty Maxon Calix Schreave and Lady America Singer in the union of marriage. Marriage is a sacred union which enriches natural love. It binds those who enter it to be faithful to each other for ever; it creates between them a bond that endures for life and cannot be broken; it demands that they love and honour each other, that they accept from God the children he may give them, and bring them up in his love. To help them in their marriage, the husband and wife receive the life-long grace of the sacrament."

"Maxon Calix Schreave and America Singer, you are here to celebrate this sacrament. Have you come here without compulsion and your own free will?"

They didn't take their eyes off each other. "We have."

"Then, Maxon Calix Schreave, do you promise to take America Singer as your wife, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?"

Maxon smile grew brighter, even though I didn't think it was possible. "I do."

"And do you, America Singer, take Maxon Calix Schreave as your husband, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?"

"I do."

"Therefore, I pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride!"

Maxon kissed her tenderly, with more passion and love than he ever gave me. There were awws and oohs before they broke away. They then exchanged rings. I expected the party to start again, but I realized it was time for the coronation.

A different man, an older one too, known as the Archbishop rose and began speaking.

"Are Maxon Calix Schreave and America Schreave willing to take the oath?"

There was a trace of a smile on both on their lips, but there were no huge grins anymore.

"We are."

"Very well. Will you solemnly swear to govern the people of Illea, from Allens, Angeles, Atlin, Baffin, Bankston, Belcourt, Bonita, Carolina, Calgory, Clermont, Columbia, Dakota, Denbeigh, Dominica, Fennley, Hansport, Honduragua, Hundson, Kent, Labrador, Lakedon, Likely, Midston, Ottaro, Paloma, Panama, Sonage, Sota, St. George, Sumner, Tammins, Waverly, Whites, Yukon, and Zuni, according to their respective laws and customs?" He said, taking a breath.

Maxon nodded. "I solemnly swear so."

"I solemny swear so as well," America said.

"Will you swear to cause law, justice, and mercy with your power, rather than corruption and injustice?"

"We will."

"Will you promise to put your country first, before pleasure and fun? Before friends, before family?"

"We will."

"I now pronounce you both king and queen of Illea! Whoever objects, speak now or forever hold your peace."

Silence.

Then the whole room erupted with cheering. The party started with popular music, and I went and found America and Maxon. I tried to put on a cheerful expression.

"Congratulations!" I yelled over the noise.

They were holding hands. "Thanks, Kriss," America said. Maxon gave a smile. Before I had a chance to reply, numerous dignitaries came our way, and I found myself near Marlee.

She was beaming. "Aren't you so happy for them? They were made for each other."

I nodded, unable to choke out the words. Marlee saw my expression, and though it had most people fooled, she saw right through it. She grabbed my arm and gently guided me out of the Great Room.

"Marlee!" I gasped. "It's rude to go out like that!"

She didn't respond until we got to a tiny bench in the corner of one of the many palace halls.

She turned towards me and started speaking, her expression warm.

"Were you in love with Maxon, Kriss?"

I was taken aback. I blinked. "What?"

"Were you in love with him? During the Selection?"

I hesitated, trying to find the words. "Not was. Am," I clarified, and stood up, trying to end the conversation.

She pulled me back down. "I know. I saw the sadness in your eyes when you were talking to them. I saw how you looked at Maxon. And though I don't know what it's like to be heartbroken, I want you to get over it."

Her bluntness got me irritated. "Get over it?!" I whisper-yelled. "Please, Marlee. You don't know a single thing about being in my position. Don't you dare give me advice I don't need."

Her eyes widened at my ferocity. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that," She said. "It's just, when you go home, you have to forget about Maxon. Don't torture yourself over it. There's always more than one person out there."

I really didn't need her advice. I cursed under my breath, finally unleashing the anger, the envy, the sadness. Marlee stood up and left, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

Wow this was short. Oh well. Next chapter will make up for it.

K biiiii!