Chapter 9

I walked into the palace just in time for lunch, in a daze the whole time. His deep voice and apologetic eyes still hung in my mind. The beautiful places I had visited after my breakfast, however, hadn't. 

As I crossed the threshold, I caught a glimpse of Orabella's burgundy hair. I was about to approach her, but then I saw a person in front of her, talking seriously. I swerved to see who the other person was. It was Maxon.

"I'm sorry, Orabella," He said,"We had no idea that Kriss would feel this way. If she feels like we are an intrusion, America and I can find a hotel nearby and visit the palace only on political purposes."

Orabella shook her head, letting out a petite sigh. "Of course not, Maxon. What kind of hosts would we be if we let you do that? I just want you to be a little gentle around her, that's all."

"I understand. We'll do our best to make her feel welcome."

"Thank you."

The last words of the conversation were uttered, and Orabella moved to the side, leaving me vulnerable to Maxon's line of sight. Holding back a gasp, I ducked behind the nearest indoor plant. I crossed my fingers, waiting for his footsteps to recede.

His deep voice rang through the hall. "Orabella?"

I shivered.

"Yes, Maxon?" said Orabella, stopping exactly a foot before the plant.

"Did you see that?" 

"See what?"

"Oh. . . never mind. Must be my lack of sleep speaking." With that, I heard the heaven-sent recession of his feet. 

Orabella giggled and turned around, walking right to the spot where she could have a full view of me.

Her eyes widened and she opened her mouth to speak, but I clasped my hand over her lips just in time and pulled her out of sight.

"This isn't what it looks like," I whispered.

She quirked an eyebrow.

I let go of her.

"Did you. . . listen to the whole conversation?" She asked, suddenly nervous.

"I didn't listen to it. I heard it. It wasn't deliberate. And yes. I think I got most of it," I said, crossing my arms and giving her a slight frown.

"Oh." She looked down, avoiding eye contact.

A moment of silence. Then two. Then three.

"I'm sorry," She blurt out. 

"For what?"

"I don't know, I mean, I thought you were mad because I told Maxon about you feeling bad."

My stern gaze softened. "It's okay, Orabella. I know you did it because you want the best for me. I'm not mad, trust me. Though at first, I was a little annoyed."

She sighed with relief. "Okay, thank God." She toyed with a piece of her dress for a moment, debating whether to say something or not, it appeared. 

"Kriss?" She said playfully.

"Mm?"

"Did you. . . hook up with anyone?"

"Excuse me?"

Orabella giggled.. "No, sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I meant, did you meet anyone? Though. . . the other meaning is acceptable, too. There's no 'wait until marriage' law in Italy."

I gaped. "First of all, I did meet someone. Second of all, there's no way in the world that I would. . . fornicate."

"Oh. my. gosh. You met someone? Who is it? Did you make out? Are you in love? When's the wedding? Am I invited? Please tell me I'm invite--"

"Orabella! Whoa there, you're getting ahead of yourself. He's a stranger. I knew him for exactly. . ." I rolled back to the situation, counting. ". . .three minutes. THREE. And the only reason is because he bumped into me. Literally."

Orabella waved the justification away with a flick of her hand. "Is he Italian? Handsome? Do you have a date with him by any chance?"

I squinted at her. "Well, he asked me to dinner tonight and--"

"YES! YES YES YES! YES YES--"

"But I'm not going."

Orabella deflated as quickly as she got excited.  "What?"

I sighed. "I told him I would go, but looking back, I'm wondering why I said yes. I'm not ready to put myself out there. Sorry, but I can't and I won't go," I said, a bit too defiantly. 

"Oh."

"Don't look so disappointed. It's not like he was your date tonight."

Orabella looked at me with a blank face for what seemed like eternity. Then, she took a breath, moved one foot, and slowly stepped away. Suddenly, she turned around, and decisively spoke.

"You're going," She said.

I blinked. "What?"

"You're going, Kriss, dammit! You're going!

She grabbed my fist a little too harshly and dragged me up the stairs and into my room. The whole time, I was breathing heavily, anticipating how she would yell and scream.

She faced me as soon as she closed the door. "You're throwing away the only chance you have at love. In Illea, with Maxon's face on TV and on banners, how will you get over him?"

I felt a tear emerging.

"Kriss, stop. Stop pitying yourself. Suck it up. Maxon will never come back to you. Do you see how much he damn loves America? Don't you want that kind of love? So if you care about yourself in any way, you WILL go to that dinner. You hear me?"

Her words were like knives breaking through me and plugging the blood from flowing out. But even in the overwhelming sadness and anger and rage that I felt, I knew, somewhere in my deepest conscience, that she was. . .

"I'll go to the dinner, Orabella."

yay! She's going! Sowwy 4 not updating in a long time. I hope you enjoyed. We have a treat next chapter.

<3 Vi