Chapter 20

Cold dread swept over me like a storm when I saw Tobias standing in front of the class, casually smiling like we didn't know each other. I should have averted my eyes as soon as I walked inside, but I couldn't. That would be like facing a shark and looking the other way to ignore the danger.

Tyra nudged me, urging me to walk to our regular seats. My legs started moving on their own. We sat down and I did my best to keep calm. I was perfectly aware that I gave him power over me. I granted it, and as much as I hated the fact, it was something I had to deal with. The only solution was to break away, and since he wasn't going to ease up by the looks of things, I had to do everything myself.

Throughout the class, Tobias kept firing me questions in front of the other students, intentionally keeping me on edge. Those around me seemed to pick up on the fact that something was odd. I received more than one questioning glance from students I had barely talked to before. I answered everything, but when one question that was unrelated to what we had been studying so far damp down in my lap, I protested by not saying anything at all.

Tobias squared his shoulders, grinning to show that he finally scored. "Time for a trip to the Principal's office, Dylan."

Tyra grumbled beside me. I, on the other hand, thought it was a great idea. He hadn't provided me with any ammunition to kick his ass, yet, but perhaps I could alert the head of the school that something was going on with his new teacher.

I smiled, stood up and headed toward the door. Tobias appeared peeved by my reaction, which was another thing to be proud of. Obviously, I hadn't acted the way he anticipated, and he hated that beyond anything. He liked to know exactly where he had me. Guess what, I'm not the same person anymore, I wanted to tell him, but I remained silent as I walked out. He wasn't worth my attention.

That boost of confidence followed me to the Principal's office. However, as soon as I stood in front of the secretary, I deflated.

"Dylan O'Connor, what are you doing here so early in the day?" It was the lady who had greeted Lily and me when we first arrived. I still didn't like her. The smile she wore was too fake.

"Ma'am, I failed to answer a question in class, so I was sent here."

She looked puzzled, arching here eyebrows slightly. "Fine, just sit down and I'll let the principal know that you're here to see him."

I took a seat and retrieved my phone from my jeans to kill some time, but I had barely time to open a game before the secretary called for me to enter. Perhaps I should have prepared for this meeting with more care; however, I didn't have the focus for that.

The principal was a man in his forties, looking the part dressed in a tweed blazer. I had seen him around but never spoken to him directly.

"Dylan, have a seat, please."

"Thank you, Mr. Taylor."

"So, what brings you here today?"

I took a deep breath. "I'm going to tell you something, and you might not believe me, but I have to say something. I'm doing this for my friends and family." I paused, swallowing down the unease lodged in my throat.

He pushed his glasses up to the bridge of his nose. "Go on."

"The reason I moved here, why my entire family moved here, was because I ended up in a bad situation back at my old school."

Mr. Taylor held up his hand to pause me. "Dylan, your mom called this morning. I know what this is about."

I didn't know how to respond.

"The problem is that we have very little to go on, and these are severe accusations."

Clenching my jaw, I recalled the words spoken by another principal half a year ago. My leg started hopping beneath the desk.