Chapter 29

Mel met us in the store with a serious frown lining her forehead.

"I think I found what you're looking for, but Zach." She paused, faltered. "I don't think it's enough to tie these guys to any crime, though. I've seen cases with far more evidence getting thrown away by a fucked up jury. There's a couple of diary entries in there, but she doesn't mention the guys with names."

I wanted to smack her, not because I didn't believe her, but she could have let us hope until we talked to the police at least. I knew the chances were slim that Zach would even take this to the station if he didn't have our full support.

Zach placed his hands on the counter, leaning forward and dropping his head in defeat. "It was a long shot anyway. Thanks for checking, Mel."

She gave him a sad smile that I doubted he saw. Instead, he turned on his heels and stalked out of the store with me tailing behind.

"Zach," I called out.

He slowed down enough for me to catch up. I thought I would see hurt or disappointment in his eyes, but all I got was that signature chill. Not a good sign. He looked away and continued to walk toward the car.

Not wanting to cause a scene in the middle of the street, I followed and sat down in the front seat as he slammed his door shut. Barely waiting for me to get inside, he started the engine and drove away. He was running, and I didn't know what to do. What could I say?

"At least you got a clean slate," he said, his voice clipped and rough around the edges.

The words hit my gut like nothing else. I closed my eyes and told myself that he was upset and that he had every right to be. If he resented the fact that my problem could be fixed, but not his, then...I wasn't sure. It hurt, but could I blame him?

He stepped harder on the pedal, driving far above the speed limit until he veered the car and pulled into an empty parking lot. He stopped the car and burst into tears, slamming his hands against anything he could find.

I unclasped my seatbelt and practically flung myself on him, catching his arms and pinning them down. "Zach..." I didn't know what to say. "Please." I wanted to say that it was going to be okay, but the simple reassurance was such an empty one. How could I say that it would be okay?

He cried harder, pushing against me with dwindling strength. I hugged him harder, knowing that his ceasing fight was a sign that I was doing the right thing. Tears landed on my neck, soaking me with his frustration and pent up grief. I received them gladly, wanting to take away the pain.

I don't know how long we sat there until his breathing calmed. He eventually pulled me over into his lap despite the lack of space. Leaning back, he let me see his tear stained face. "I'm so fucking tired of this shit."

"I know."

"I want them in jail for what they did, but Mel's right. Rape never gets solved, not when Clara isn't even here to give her statement. Even then, it would be her words against theirs, and they would never admit to a thing. It would have torn her apart all over again."

Bile rose in my throat because his words were far too true.

Something in his eyes changed, and his breathing calmed even further. "I'm gonna study to be a lawyer, and I'll change this shit. Women shouldn't be afraid to report, teenagers shouldn't be afraid of getting abused a second time by a fucking useless jury."

Maybe my smile was out of place, despite how weak it was, but it was nice to hear such conviction in his voice. He saw some kind of purpose, and it was definitely a worthy one.