Chapter 1

Calum's POV

This was my first time moving, and I didn't even feel a difference. It's not like I had any friends in my life that I would miss, or a life at all for that matter. Everyone just thought I was a loser and a freak. I don't understand why being gay is so disgusting and weird to people. Maybe the people at my new school won't be so ignorant. Just maybe... But I'm not too sure. It's a big world, yet there's a low amount of good people around. Probably not true, but judging by my old school, it seemed pretty accurate. Maybe I can really have a fresh start. As I unpacked my boxes and my luggage, I began to feel tired. I was only sitting in an airplane all day, sleeping. But I still felt tired. So I decided to lay on my mattress in my empty room. Just like that, I was knocked out.

-

I woke up to the softness of my mom's voice, squinting at the brightness of the morning light. That's when I realized, it was already my first day of school.

"Good morning, Calum." My mother spoke. "Time for your first day. Are you excited?"

Suddenly, I felt my eyes grow comfortable with the light, and I looked at my mom, seeing a huge smile on her face.

"Excited for what? Everyday is the same for me... Nothing's gonna change." I groaned.

I saw my mom's expression after hearing that. She looked a little sad and worried. My mom and I were really close, but maybe it's from being an only child and not having a father there with you. But my mom and I really love each other, and we enjoy each other's time. We told each other everything.

"I'm sorry, Calum." She sighed. "I didn't mean to upset you."

"No, it's fine." I immediately replied, feeling guilt. "You can never upset me. I'm just a little tired is all."

She looked at me in disbelief, and said with a giggle, "But you've been sleeping so much lately. Now it's time to be awake and get ready before you're late on your first day."

And with that, she stood up from my bed and left me alone.

I took a quick shower and I rushed to get something to wear. I guess you can say I was a little excited. I don't know why, but I felt like something special was gonna happen to me today.

I brushed my teeth, and I didn't even bother to eat breakfast. I grabbed my bag, and I walked out with my mom. She drove me to school in the car she got me, considering I didn't quite know where my school was. Afterwards, I insisted on driving myself the next day, because I seemed to have already remembered the directions.

I walked out of my car and into the school, Ravallon High.

It was huge and everything seemed to sparkle. The people were gorgeous. I grabbed my Schedule that I received from the mail, and I looked at it closely.

All of a sudden, I felt myself fall and hit the floor. I looked up to find a blonde twig looking down at me.

"Watch where you're going, you freak!" She snapped.

Of course...

"Now I'm probably gonna catch your ugly! Get away from me!" She squealed once more, leaving with here posse.

I heard laughs and giggles, as I saw a bunch of eyes staring at me. I felt so small. That's when I saw a hand wave in front of me. I looked up, seeing a cute blonde with blue eyes. He was offering to help. I gratefully grabbed his hand, As he pulled me up. He picked up my bag for me.

"Uh, thanks!" I said nervously, yet grateful.

Our eyes locked. He grinned, "No problem. You're new here, right? What's your name?"

I was so confused. Why would a cute guy want to talk to me? This never happened to me before.

"C-Calum..." I stuttered. "And you?"
I asked, really wanting to know now.

"I'm Luke!" He smiled. "Here, let me help you find your classes!"

I handed him my schedule. He seemed so bubbly and excited. I felt immensely grateful.

"Looks like we have 4 classes together!" He cheered. "World History, Geometry, PE and English... And maybe Chemistry?"

"I-I thought you said 4 classes."
I spoke out in confusion.

"Yeah... Just 4. The last one was only a joke."

"Oh, right." I said, though I didn't get it.

We sort of just walked in an awkward silence after that.

The rest of my classes were without him, but oh well. I still have the chance to talk to him in the 4 classes I do have with him. We heard the bell, and he walked with me to our first class, Geometry.

-

By the time lunch came around, Luke and I were already friends. He was really nice, funny, very sweet, and super cute.

I already liked him.

He told me a lot about his family, and what he likes to do. He plays basketball for the school and also does track. He was pretty cool and very fun to be around.

Suddenly, there were 2 guys walking to our table.

"Hey guys!" Luke greeted. "This is Calum! He's new here. Calum, these are my friends, Michael and Ashton."

"Uh-Hey... Guys." I spoke shyly as I waved.

Michael and Ashton sat down next to us .

I learned so much about all of them. I thought it was so strange and unusual that I already had 3 friends on my first day. It was all so new to me. And I was very glad.

"So, Calum, what do you do for a living?" Michael asked me.

"Nothing really..." I said honestly. "I play video games and board games with my mom. I never really had friends to do those things with. I exercise some times. I also like swimming."

It was nice to have some friends to talk to.