Chapter Forty-One

Chapter Forty-One

I guess that I, I just thought

Maybe we could find new ways to fall apart

"A.J.! Oliver is here!" Mum yells from downstairs, making me roll my eyes because I already guessed as much when the doorbell rang. 

"I'll be right down!" I yelled back, grabbing my jacket off my bed. Elijah started to move around, and I smiled contently as I walked out of my room. I nearly ran into Jemma, earning a glare from my younger sister. 

"Sorry Jem." 

"Whatever." She grumbled, already starting down the stairs. I sighed before I finally said something that had been on my mind for the past few days.  

"Are you mad at me or something? You've been really hostile towards me lately..." I asked, looking at her for an answer. Jemma lets out sigh before rolling her eyes. 

"I'm not mad. You're just overly sensitive about everything. Can I go now? Someone has to help Jonah change his diaper." Jemma says the last part sarcastically, not even giving me a chance to tell her that we weren't done with our conversation. She walked downstairs, effectively ending the conversation.  I sighed before following her, using the handrail for support as I slowly made my way down. Mum smiled at me once I reached the last step and Oliver helped me off the step. 

"Ready to go?" Oliver asks, a small smile on his face as I nodded. 

"You boys have fun." Mum says, kissing my cheek before heading up the stairs where Dad was. Oliver grabbed my hand before leading me out of the house. He opened the car door for me, helping me climb in before running over to his side. He was still smiling once he got in, leaning over the middle to kiss me softly. 

"I love you." 

"I love you too... So what are we doing?" I asked as he pulled out of the driveway. 

"We're going on a picnic." Oliver says, his smile growing a little larger as he sneaks a glance towards me. I can't help but return it this time, sighing contently as Oliver continues to drive. 

"Where exactly are we going?" 

"That's a surprise. You'll like it though." Our conversation slowly dies out, which was fine. We didn't have to talk, the silence wasn't awkward. It didn't take us long to get where we were going, some random empty field that had the perfect view of the setting sun. Oliver got out first, running over to my side and helping me out of the car. He grabs a picnic basket out of the backseat, along with a blanket. He grabs my hand with his free one, linking his fingers with mine before we walked to the middle of the field. Oliver set out the blanket before helping me sit down on the ground. 

"You alright?" Oliver asks as he joins me on the ground. 

"I'm fine... Are you alright?" 

"Couldn't be better. I mean... I'm with you." 

"You're such a sap. I don't remember you being this sappy." I chuckled, rolling my eyes before looking at Oliver fondly. 

"I've always been sappy, especially where you're concerned. You bring out the sap in me." Oliver shrugs, but his smile is just as bright. I loved it, I loved him. 

"Are you always going to be this sappy? I'm not sure if I can handle it." I teased, winking at him. It was his turn to roll his eyes before he kisses my cheek. 

"You're going to have to sweetheart... I'm planning on being sappy whenever I have the chance." Oliver says quietly, wrapping an arm around me. I leaned my head against his shoulder for a moment before reaching for the basket. 

"What'd you bring?" 

"Macaroni and Cheese." 

"You're joking right?" I arched my eyebrows at him, looking at him as if he'd lost his mind... but I couldn't help the small smile on my face. 

"Nope. I know it's your favorite." Oliver pulls out a Tupperware container, and as promised it had macaroni and cheese. I took it from him, opening up the container before grabbing both of us a spoon. It wasn't long before our food was gone, leaving the both of us in a comfortable silence. The sun had set already, leaving us with only the stars. Oliver had his arm wrapped around my shoulders, much like he had earlier. I had my head on his shoulder, smiling softly as Elijah kicked occasionally. 

"Alex... I have something I need to tell you." Oliver whispers after a while. 

"What?" I asked, my voice tired. 

"You know how I told you that I was back for a couple weeks?" Oliver sounds nervous and I sit up so I can look at him. 

"Yeah?" 

"Well... It turns out that I'm heading back to America sooner than I thought." Oliver bites his bottom lip, looking at me with a nervous look as he waits for my reaction. I don't say anything for a moment, trying to figure out how I felt. I knew that he wasn't going to stay forever...  I knew that he was going to have to leave eventually. 

"When?" I finally ask, looking at him expectantly. Oliver doesn't look at me for a moment, looking down at his hands.

"Friday." 

"Oh." 

"If it was up to me Alex... I wouldn't go. You know I wouldn't." 

"I know... and it's okay. I'm okay with it. I mean... You'll be back before E.J. is born... It's your job and it's okay." I wasn't really sure who I was trying to convince... 

"We'll be okay?" 

"Yeah... We'll be okay." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter is just... I don't know haha. I like wanted it to be more dramatic but then I got carried away with the fluff. 

But oh welllllllllll.

Shit happens. 

Comment

and

Vote

Connie xx