Chapter 2

Pre-Note from the Author:

FYI: If you hadn't read the 'Info' section, the *** means a change in perspective.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 2 

Okay, Cadence. Stay calm, think positive. I screamed, ran up the never-ending staircase to my oversized bedroom, grabbed one of the several hundred pillows off my king-sized bed, and continued to scream into it until my voice became hoarse. Yeah, I’m totally calm.

I’m so close. So close. Scott Hero is going to ask me to the Spring Fling, we’re going to become Ed W. Clark High School’s most envied couple, and then I am going to separate us by thousands of miles of land. I’ll never see my best and only friends ever again. I’ll have to start over and wait until college until I make friends again. I hate being smart.

I regained composure and strode down the staircase, holding my head high. They were smiling happily at me when I approached them.

“Wow, I didn’t know you were that excited, honey.”

“What the hell are you talking about? I don’t even—”

My mom’s eyes were no longer happy-go-lucky and her voice dripped with venom. “You will go to that school.”

“But—”

“We’ve replied to their acceptance letter, saying that you’re going.”

“But—”

“We’ve already booked the tickets.”

“But—”

“We’ve bought you new luggage.”

“But—”

“We’ve even set up living accommodations; Emmi will be caring for you.”

“But—"

“What have I not answered?”

“BUT WHAT IF I DON’T WANT TO GO?”

“Oh sweetie, it doesn’t matter if you want to go. You will go no matter what.”

“What happened to America being a free country?”

“Free country, or not, you are our daughter and you must abide to our rules until you reach the age of eighteen. You’ve only got two more years to go.”

“You mean four.”

“Darling, you’ll make so many friends! These kids are at you’re academic level!”

No, Mum. No kid will ever be at my academic level. But you’ll never understand that, will you?

“Mum, how did they accept me when I took no test of any kind?”

“They didn’t need that when they saw your marks. You’ve excelled in all subjects every year; they were just floored.”

“So… that’s it? I must blindly accept?”

“You must. You will.”

I ran out the double doors, not caring where I would end up. I just needed to get away from that excuse for a mom.

            ***

She was going to move to Virginia. I would never have a chance with her.

She sprinted down her smooth asphalt driveway and onto the uneven gravel street. My heart went out to her; what if she tripped? She stopped and looked right, then left, probably deciding which road she should choose. Go left, Cadence. She chose right. Shit.